Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cornbread

luis70458luis70458 Posts: 48
edited 3:42PM in EggHead Forum
I'm looking for a good Cornbread recipe I can do on my LBGE.
·

Comments

• Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,768
    ·
  • luis70458luis70458 Posts: 48
    Thanks
    ·
  • CrimsongatorCrimsongator Posts: 5,755
    Look to the right and check out the jalapeno cornbread recipe. It was a hit at the Ocala Eggfest
    ·
  • MaineggMainegg Posts: 7,787
    try both Crimsongator's and Celtic Wolfs. they are a little different from each other. if you want more of a purest corn bread which is what I really like then Pete's is awesome! but I had to admit that Genes at Ocala really wowed me.
    Picture952.jpg
    ·
  • Spring ChickenSpring Chicken Posts: 9,696
    I agree with Mainegg. Both are good but very different.

Here's some of my attempts to duplicate them:

Crimsongato's version:

CrimsongatorsCornbread.jpg

CrimsongatorsCornbreadandpeas.jpg

Celtic Wolf's version:

CelticWolfCornbread1-1.jpg

CelticWolfCornbread2-1.jpg

And then here's my version of Texas Sweet Potato Cornbread:

TexasCornbread21-5-09.jpg

It's important to start with a very hot cast iron skillet.

Spring "Cornbread On The Brain" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
    ·
  • Where can I find Pete's Recipe?

Anthony
    ·
  • HungryManHungryMan Posts: 3,470
    I'm not a big corn bread guy, but I did have some of Gene's on Sat. It was really very good.
    ·
  • luis70458luis70458 Posts: 48
    Spring chicken hoe do you make the Texas Sweet Potato Cornbread?
    ·
  • Spring ChickenSpring Chicken Posts: 9,696
    I just winged it when I made that batch but it turned out good. The sweet potatoes were from a can of candied yams. I used some of the batter to make the "Texas" on top too.

Meanwhile, I happened on this recipe and it is pretty close to what I did. Only this recipe would probably fill a large skillet. I used a small skillet.

Sweet Potato Corn Bread
    SUBMITTED BY: Judy Roland
    "This corn bread bakes to a deep golden color with flecks of sweet potato visible. It looks a s good as it tastes."

INGREDIENTS
    • 2 cups all-purpose flour
    • 2 cups cornmeal
    • 1/2 cup sugar
    • 7 teaspoons baking powder
    • 2 teaspoons salt
    • 4 egg, beaten
    • 3/4 cup milk
    • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
    • 2 2/3 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In a small bowl, combine the eggs, milk, oil and sweet potatoes. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan.

2. Bake at 425 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cut into squares. Serve warm.

Let us know how yours turns out.

Spring "Sweet Potato Sort Of Day" Chicken
    ·