Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

trouble w/ egg temperature

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i am having trouble getting my egg to heat up. it takes 20-30 minutes just to get it to 300 degrees. is this normal? i think it has something to do with the way it is drafting but i can't figure out what i am doing wrong. should i face the bottom draft vent towards the wind or away from? [p]thanks

Comments

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    miah,[p]Make sure the opening in your firebox is aligned with the sliding vent door on your BGE. I am assuming you have a new or new to you Egg.[p]If you use to get it up to temp, but are suddenly having problems. Make sure the lump you are using is dry and look through the vent door to make sure it is not full of ash or the grate hasn't collapsed.[p]Keep em Smokin,
    Jethro

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    miah,[p]300 in 20-30 minutes is pretty normal.
    There are a lot of variables to firestarting..... like if you have a bunch of smallish lump it will take longer to get up to temp quickly.
    Starting leftover lump with no fresh added will take longer. Damp lump will take longer.
    Making sure before you start that all the vent holes in the firebox and fire grate are clear of ash and small lump will help.
    Check to see if the opening in the firebox aligns with the opening in the bottom vent for max airflow.
    The new metal fire grate will help to get to temps faster than the older style ceramic grate...... just to name a few reasons.[p]I would not face your bottom grate into the wind. It will be harder to maintain temps throughout your cook and you run the risk of temp spikes when your not looking..... safer to face away.[p]Hope this helps,
    John[p]

• Jethro
    Jethro,[p]Here is a pic I meant to include above.[p]
    [ul][li]cut away[/ul]
  • Jethro
    BGEdiagram.gif
    <p />Jethro,[p]Here is a pic I meant to include above.[p]
  • CR
    CR Posts: 175
    miah, that is about normal time for my LBGE to get to about 300°; I use 1 Webber starter cube to get my lump going. If you wanted to speed-up the process a little, you could use additional starter cubes or sticks or maybe MAPP gas.[p]Also once past 300° the temp will rise fairly quickly as a bigger portion of the lump gets going.

• BubbaGump
    BubbaGump Posts: 39
    CR,[p]I disagree. I have a new large. I use the BGE electric starter. It takes 5 minutes at most tog et 6-7 red coals. I open bottom draft and daisy all the way and I can peg 750 in about 10-15 additional minutes. My problem is with maintqaining a low temp.
  • BubbaGump
    BubbaGump,[p]I would also like to add before someone suggests I use way too much lump, is that I only fill it about 1-2 inches above the drraft holes. BUT, I do ask, is that way too much to maintain say 150 for a long n slow? The loweest I can ever maintain is about 275.[p]Thanks for any help you can give me.[p]Buster

• WooDoggies
    BubbaGump,[p]Hey, your electric starter is faster than mine. Mine takes 6-7 minutes to get a flaming bed of coals going. :~)[p]For a long cook you can fill with lump to or just past the fire ring and that will give you 24+ hours of cooktime without having to reload.
    If you overshoot your temp at startup, it will take some time to bring it down to where you want it... so it pays to keep an eye on it until the temp stablizes.[p]For a long cook, I will start the fire in the bottom of the firebox with fresh lump mounded over the elements on the starter. When the fire is going, pull out the starter, spread the coals, pour fresh lump up to the fire ring, close the dome and slowly bring the egg up to your temp.
    I will find the general temp with the bottom vent and fine tuning with the daisy.[p]150 is going to be nearly impossible to maintain unless you are using just a handful of lump and keep constant vigil.
    200 is doable but there is more of chance of the fire going out after a few hours unattended cook.
    225 is a good low and slow temp and 250 even better with much less of a chance of the fire going out.
    I think you will find no difference in the quality of a meat cooked at 200 and one cooked at 250 ..... some folks will even cook at 275 for low and slows..... I like 230-250.[p]After startup and the fire has settled for an hour or so, the general setting for a 230 cook on my large is with the bottom vent open about a credit card width, the daisy slider fully closed with the petal vents open about 2/3's.
    The vent settings will vary from cook to cook but thats basically where they stay.[p]I need a beer!
    John [p]

• BubbaGump
    WooDoggies,[p]That was super advice. And just what I needed to know! I can't wait to give it a whirl.[p]Thanks a lot!
  • WooDoggies
    BubbaGump,[p]Two words: Pork Butt. :~)[p]Cheers!

• BubbaGump
    WooDoggies,[p]Did my wife tell you to call me that? Oh wait, the it would be chicken &%$# instead!
  • WooDoggies
    BubbaGump,[p]Didn't mean to get personal...... the link will explain.[p]heeeee!

[ul][li]Qfan Speaks[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    BubbaGump,
    I agree witchya! That was a KILLER post by Dr. Woo. The best general temp explanation I have seen in 4 years posting on this forum. Sounds like he was honed RIGHT in on your vibes. Woo is good at that!!!
    Beers, Buster
    Chris[p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    lump2.jpg
    <p />miah,[p]Add more lump, you have too little in the firebox. Pictured is the MINIMUM amount to use every time you fire it up. You can always add more.[p]Tim
  • BubbaGump
    Nature Boy,[p]That ain't no lie! Now have a beer!
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    BubbaGump,
    Okay.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ