Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's in a name???

Options
Dr. Chicken
Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night as I was talking (via e-mail) with one of the newer members of the forum, he came up with a question! The question was this; "What in the world is a Place-Setter?" I clued him in, explained what they did and how they were used. Then to back everything up, I had him go to Gfw's site, Tim M's site and look at the "What's New" on top of the "Last 25" feature. I gave him more references, but that's as far as he went! Again, after he'd done that he came back with another question! "Where in the world did they come up with a name like that?" "It doesn't have anything to do with its use!" I have to say, I totally agree with that statement! [p]Please pardon my getting off in this direction, but IMHO I think it needs to be addressed. [p]Bill Miller was working with the BGE people to do just that, change it's name, before his untimely passing. Why can't all of us come up with a name that would do it justice? Give some sort of hint as to what its function is! How it's used or for what ever! All of us need to take up where Bill left off and get it done. [p]When I hear 'Place-Setter' I think instantly of a table setting. This thing don't have nothing to do with a table setting. I'll bet there are others out there that conjure up wild imaginative things when the name first comes up! Why? It should fit right in with other tools that we use on the Eggs. It is definitely a tool, and I'm glad I finally broke down and got one. IMHO, it just needs a name that is more fitting![p]Please don't get me wrong! I'm not trying to step on anyones toes or castigate BGE for the name. BGE makes products that I believe in 1000%, not just "part of the time"! I wouldn't be participating in this forum if I didn't believe in the Eggs. I'm sure all of you are the same way! The responses lately for people wanting input in regards to buying an Egg over some other cooker tells the whole story! It's like we are all 'brain washed'! We probably are, but we refer to it as being convinced! :^)[p]Come on folks, I'd like your input in this matter! Late last night C~W and I were talking (again via e-mail) about some other stuff. The 'Place-Setter' came up again. I find that he also thinks its not a fitting name. I know from previous responses that there are a lot of you out there that feel as we do! The thing works! We just need to give it a name that reflects on what it does or how it works. Names like "Tri-Stone" or "Stone-Riser"! Anything, as long as it reflects back to its many uses. I'll bet there is a bushel basket full of good names that will fit it! We just need to put our heads together, come up with something, take a consensus vote and let the BGE people know! You can't say they won't work with us! Will GM or Dupont or any of the other 'biggies' listen to their users? I think not! They'll pay you "lip service" and continue to do what they want! BGE people listen to what we come up with! On a daily basis![p]Again, I do not intend to step on anybody's toes or throw muddy water in one's face. I'm part of this crazy bunch of nuts, just like all of you. I'd sure like to see something done about this, and hopefully this will be the start.[p]I appreciate all of you letting me voice MHO here! I'm sorry it is so long winded![p]I look forward to hearing what the rest of you think! Dr. Chicken

Comments

• Teslamania
    Teslamania Posts: 144
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,[p]The name is plate setter isn't it? Those things I think are used in kilns for firing ceramic pieces aren't they?

• Mary
    Mary Posts: 190
    Options
    Teslamania,
    Right, it is a plate setter because its real function is to hold plates in a kiln for firing. Somebody got one and adapted it to the BGE cooking after finding out how useful fire bricks are in the egg. There are a few of us who prefer the more adaptable and durable (and cheaper) fire bricks.[p]Mary

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Teslamania,
    Got me! I thought I always saw it as a 'Place-Setter'! The name don't reflect what we are doing with it! Do ya think so? When I first went to my dealer to buy one, he had no idea what I was talking about. 6 months later, he carries them in stock! He never knew what they were used for until myself and a buddy started asking for them.[p]Dr. Chicken

• RLA
    RLA Posts: 89
    Options
    Dr. Chicken, Actually I should disqualify myself from the "name" game, as I am so new I havnt even fired up my big egg yet!! But, since it is a plate-setter (from ceramic work) , lets call it a stone-setter, since you all use pizza stones on it.
    BTW....I called BGE and the price is $35 plus $19 for shipping....guess what? ===> I just went out and bought 5 fire bricks at .75 per split. I can handle $3.75
    Bob

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Dr. Chicken, thanks for putting your feathers on the line.
    As you stated, WJ was working on a replacement name and was taking samplings from the forum.
    BGE modified the original "plate sitter" with longer extentions to conform to the outer firering. [p]I recieved a test version from BGE and in shipping one leg was broken so it sat in the box for a year. I repaired it with some high temperature cement and my first test after fire curing it was a pizza. I used nothing but the unit on three legs and it worked beautifully. Perfect crust and browning all across the bottom of the pizza.[p]While baking it, the thought of this being the same material as in the BGE 3/4 inch pizza stone, that we have a 3legged pizza stone. Thus the name Tri-Stone would be fitting. And IMHO represents the product. Tri-Pad is shorter! [p]I personally think BGE should come up with a designated product name, regardless of what it is. [p]I would also like to thank JJ for taking his wife Kathy shopping at the ceramics store in Atlanta, and Kathy spotted the 3 legged stone. She instantly saw the opportunities...:-)[p]Inverted its a grill/drip pan support and fire barrier for low and slow cooks, and right side up, its a nice pizza stone and bread baking instrument.
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Mary,[p]Couldn't agree with you more Mary. Drop a firebrick on your toe and only your toe hurts, drop a plate setter on your toe and your wallet hurts too.[p]I'll put some grey matter towards the name to see if there is something that makes more sense.[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    And since its uses are so varied, it would be tricky to come up with a name that describes it's function. I guess it is nearly always used as some kind of a baffle, but a baffle is not all it is. It is also a support, and ceramic mass.[p]My vote is Tri-Stone. The name might not describe its use, but it sure paints a quick picture of what it is. And has a marketable ring to it.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • sprinter
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,[p]Ya' know, giving it a bit of thought, maybe we should LEAVE it as a plate setter. It is NOT, in fact, a BGE invention, the industry that USES them calls them a plate setter, thats what, in fact, IT IS. We have adapted it to our use, but it still is a PLATE SETTER. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck, its a DUCK.[p]Besides, like butchers, if we named things what they actually ARE or somehow by the purpose they serve, that would take all the fun out of it. Boston Butt, Tri-Tip, Country Ribs, the name is NOTHING like what the meat IS or where it comes from on the animal.[p]Just my 2 pennies, I use fire bricks, heaven knows I have enough of them now to last a lifetime.[p]Troy
  • Teslamania
    Teslamania Posts: 144
    Options
    Mary,[p]I bought one of the new modified ones. I have thick fire bricks as well, but wanted to see if i could cut down on any excess ceramic mass. Really! or maybe i just thought it would be another cool toy - but I didn't jump for the remote "polder"

• Brant
    Brant Posts: 82
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]And "Refractory ceramic thermal shielding and radiating apparatus" doesn't have a marketable ring to it? :-)[p]Brant

• sprinter
    Options
    Brant,[p]R.C.T.S.R.A. for short.[p]Troy
  • Brant
    Brant Posts: 82
    Options
    sprinter,[p]Hmm, I didn't count on the acronym when I came up with that. Enunciating it sounds too much like "rotisserie".[p]Brant
  • Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Brant,
    I knew I'd get some good follow-ups! You and Sprinter are proof![p]Dr. Chicken

• sprinter
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,[p]No offense meant Doc, just having a little fun on a Thursday afternoon. I'm not convinced that the name has to be changed and I posted such earlier. Honestly, I don't think there IS a name for that "thing" that would do justice to it, explain what it does, create an appropriate mental picture etc. I think its impossible. Think some of the other tools taht we all use...Slide Daisy Top - what mental picture does that conjour up in your mind? I had more trouble with that one than I did with the plate setter whe I started with the BGE. Ash Tool - could be anything. What is that "hook" for on the end of it? Heck, we still discuss that one to this day.[p]Bottom line is, once you see the tool, the name is really irrelevant, you can SEE the purpose that it is supposed to serve and how it would work. Trying to put that in a name is difficult if not impossible in every case. Once a person SEES a slide daisy top it makes sense what it does, same with an ash tool, and the same with the plate setter. The name does not necessarily HAVE to define the purpose.[p]Boy you really stirred up a hornets nest with this one.....Please, take no offense but IMHHHHHHHHHHHO, it's much ado about nothing. It does, however, make for some interesting discussion and for that I thank you, the day was somewhat boring otherwise.[p]Troy
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,[p]What we have here is a baking table or a baking stone as such. Really more of a table than a stone but one can decide that for theirself.[p]I have wanted to find a way to seize the opportunity in honoring our former Webmaster. A great way that this can be done is in naming that gizmo "The Miller Baking Table" or "The Miller Baking Stone" in his honor. I know he did not invent it but played an important part in wanting to give it a name.[p]Just a suggestion and hope this is taken in the light it is intended.

• Mary
    Mary Posts: 190
    Options
    sprinter,[p]I agree with Troy, lets call it what it is. I get really sick of renaming things - all that really does is cause confusion down the road. Tho, just for grins, I'd lean towards Brant's creation. ;-)[p]I got one of the test plate setters arrriving in 4 pieces, tried gluing it back with high temp glue and it fractured again durng the first use, so I gave up. I'm sure the BGE version is better now for our purposes, but calling it what it is allows people to make a choice between the BGE version or the real thing. BGE didn't come up with a different name for thier version of a pizza stone, even tho it's the thickest I've ever been able to find.[p]Mary
  • Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Bob,
    I like that! It also has a meaning that all of us can relate to![p]Thank you![p]Dr. Chicken

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Teslamania,
    The remote "polder" thermometer gets most of its use as a kitchen timer and alarm clock in our house. The couple of times a year when I DO need it, I'm glad I have it. JCA

• Dr. Chicken,[p]Stonehenge?