Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie egg owner

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello I will be honest i thought all of you were just a bunch of wackos, till I fired up my big green egg tonight. Just to give you a little history Iam terrible at grilling. Man best steaks we have had in a long time. What a great product and great forum you guys are great[p]G-Man

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    winetenderloin.jpg
    <p />G-Man,
    Most of us are wackos about smoking, low and slow, and high temp searing.
    You will enjoy this investment for years.
    Try some babyback ribs soon.[p]CWM[p]

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    G-Man,
    You could be right. [p]I could be considered "wacko" if I sort of babysat a grill for 20 + hours while I cooked a large chunk of pork shoulder this past weekend. 20 hours and never raised the dome. Never looked at the meat until about the last hour when I mopped it down a couple of times with a vinegar/apple juice/Scott's BBQ sauce concoction. Plus all the prep work for the meat (that started the day before) and then the cleanup.......[p]All that work just for some sammiches. Nothin fancy....In fact, my wife ragged on me because I had made up a sammich for myself, and was standing at the sink just chowin down (and happy). Ain't nowhere you can buy 'em like that around here....[p]And then we spend time talking about it on the internet...Do you suppose anyone reads this stuff?[p]We be Wacko! [p]Welcome to the club![p]Mike in MN

• Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    G-Man,
    This was posted on another ceramic forum about a year ago by King O Coals...very apropo :)
    "K.O.C. Ceramic Test Pilots
    ……,,,, we have it all in perfect priority. It's is "them" who are so pittyfully off base. Those "thems" who have not ventured into our cult. They are prisoners to the complacency of propane, briquetts, and microwaves. Anyone can cook outside in perfect spring or fall weather. But only we can master the elements as we produce works of culinary delight, the likes of which can not be purchased at any retail outlet on this tiny planet. Real masterpieces must be created individually, just as the classic works of art were. We are the ceramic test-pilots. We cook by the seat of our pants without fear. We face fire, smoke, insects, frostbite, loss of facial hair, and permantly scarred knuckels. We don't do it for pay. We do it,,,,, because someone's gotta do it. If for no other reason than to insure the survival of our species. Just take notice,, our species are much healthier looking that those down the street. You know, the skinny ones that love bar-b-que from the market, or smoked meats that come in shrink wrap. Not our offspring! Ours species are spoiled to our knowledge. We are the elite. Surely we cook in the face of death, but look how far it has taken us. And if it were not for us, we, the elite ceramic test-pilot cultists, the earth would be up to its neck in an overflow of domestic chickens, pigs, cows, and fish, not to mention the wild game we convert to masterpieces. We fly without a shute. We soar without a net,,, and we never worry about looking down,, cause, we are nuts! :)……..”

• StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    G-Man,[p]Wacko ? [p]Why that's exactly what my wife thought about me at first too...I chased her for a year..I tried everything to gain her affection....I even shaved my back. the bottoms of my feet..and my giant earlobes (this was not easy..as hairy earlobes are a matter of pride in my family...grampa braids his..and they proudly swing against his hips as he walks..ahh..but I was a desperate man)....I started wearin shoes in public...bathed more than once a week...even brushed my teeth once a day...nothin..and after a year...I remember I had finally givin up..thinkin I had just about tried everything..and I sat down on a nearby park bench..all gloomy and what not...I had finally given up..and had resigned to a long and lonely life..but just as I finished licking the sweat off of my eyebrows..and was about to give in to defeat...and go home...I saw her slowly coming towards me... a gleam in her eye...apparently..she must have seen my sad...droopy..puppy dog...eyes..and had a change of heart....and ...now..it's been almost ten full years since then....[p]wacko...I beg to differ....[p]Ahh..the happy life of a Stump....[p]StumpBaby
  • G-Man,
    welcome aboard. . .this is the greatest group of cooks you will ever encounter!!. .. but always be careful of giving the "stump" a reason to wax poetic. .. .although somewhere in his ramblings you might actually learn something useful w/regard to cooking on your egg. . . [p]if you did on the stove, or in the oven, you can do it in your egg. . ..and if you have a food you like, or liked to try, as here and i guarantee you, someone will have an egg recipe for technique for you to try. ..don't ever think that when looking at some type of recipe, you can't do it in your egg, YOU CAN. . .i've even witnessed marangues being prepared in the egg. . .[p]so experiment and enjoy. ...

• Yo Car Wash Mike,
    What is that in your pic, aside from the ribs? Looks interesting. Sorry if it has already been discussed but the CWS is almost here and I am always looking for new recipes to try during those special days here in South Omaha...[p]Beers
    Matt.

• Rumrunner, The Was Beatifull I All you guys are great thanks for the welcome aboard. Guess i knew all along i was some sort of nut. now its been confirmed

• Car Wash Mike
    South O, That was half of a beef tenderloin. I sauted some onions in olive oil, when tender I added white wine and simmered a couple minutes.
    Removed from heat and added sliced baby portabello's. Cut a pocket in the tenderloin and cooked until ready.[p]CWM

• Car Wash Mike,
    Thanks! Sounds good. I'll have to give it try. Is there anything that you would do different if you were to do one again? Anything else you might add?[p]Also, what temp did you cook it at and at what temp did you pull the meat off? Did you precook the beef first (kind of like a beef wellington) to ensure that it was evenly cooked?[p]Soory for all of the questions but the presentation for that thing has got to be awesome and I wish to try it.[p]Beers
    Matt.

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    G-Man,
    I was a wacko long before the Egg came into my life: now the results are more delicious.
    This forum attracts good cooks from all over the internet. Welcome![p]Ken

• Car Wash Mike
    winetenderloindone.jpg
    <p />South O,
    I would do a few things different. I rolled in Cowlick Rub but not heavy enough. After sauteing the onions in olive oil, next time I'm draining the oil then applying the wine
    for a better taste.
    I cooked this 1 until done as requested by guests. Next time it will be medium.
    If you wait, I be preparing the next 1 in about 2 1/2 weeks.
    Por onions, mushroom and wine mixture in pocket so the flavor can soak in.
    Cooked at 225-250.[p]
    CWM

• Mr. Hyde
    Mr. Hyde Posts: 99
    StumpBaby,[p]Who'd of thought that small act of licking your eyebrows would impress?
    [/b]
  • StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    Mr. Hyde,[p]
    Ahhh...it's all becoming clear to me now...and here I thought it was my sad puppy dog eyes what did it..and all along...it was prolly because she recognized my unique ability to lick many stamps....I sure wish she'd stop sending out so many letters.....[p]StumpBaby