Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paint Issue

Options
johann
johann Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone had issues with the paint chipping off the Lid?

I've got no idea what happened. I did a brisket for 12 hours at 225/250 or so. Ate the brisket and noticed the next day the paint flaking off the lid. I contacted my dealer and they said they had never done a warranty and had me contact someone at taratin. Is that a company that own bge? I'm wondering if my dealer gets their stuff from taratin who then gets it from bge.

Anyone else had issues with the paint? I get the feeling that they are already thinking that it is unwarrantable which makes me wonder why they have a lifetime warranty.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,763
    Options
    sometimes the ceramic has a piece that didnt mix well under the surface, you might see a small piece in the center of the chip that could have been dry before it was fired. take a pic and send it to bge headquarters, if that was the problem ive been told its covered.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    That's not paint. It's burnt gook. Scrap it off and keep on cooking..
  • johann
    Options
    Oh, I'm continuing to cook. I just wanted to put on the new white gasket that is sitting on my desk now that the weather is nice out(it was not now). Then of course i saw that the paint came off the lid so no point working with the new gasket yet.

Now that I've been looking I've noticed cross hatching in other spots on the lid, I'm wondering if the paint is going to go there also.

I sent in the pictures this morning. Waiting with fingers crossed. What was strange is they didn't want close up pictures.

Prolly cost a fortune to mail the lid back.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,763
    Options
    in this pic you can see the regular crazing in the glaze, under the loose chip there apeared to be a small pebble under the surface in the middle of where it popped, that small pebble is the teltail that the ceramic wasnt mixed fully. if it doesnt have that, it may have been hit accidently after firing either by bge, the distributor, or by you without anyone knowing they did it, that might not be covered.
    100_1783.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    You talking about the green glaze on the outside or the black stuff on the metal lid?

Those fine micro cracks in the glaze are normal and should not be flaking off.
  • johann
    Options
    th_hpim2055.jpg

Its been fine for 8 months now, I didn't see a pebble etc, and I've been babying the thing.

The strange thing is they wanted a far away picture, not a close up one, which makes me wonder how they can tell the difference between a poor mix, or bumping into it. My first thought was something fell on it, but I didn't see anything, and frankly there's nothing remotely close to being above the egg.

Here's hoping. If they don't warranty this I'm canceling my BGE small order. I'll find some other ceramic cooker.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    That is definitely not "burnt gook" You should be able to get a new dome through the warranty. Listen to your dealer and their contact. My guess is the distributer will send it to the dealer for you to pick up. This would be a good time for the dealer to learn how to do a warranty.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    that's a flaw in the casting or something caused by a chip.

there's no paint on an egg, it is literally glass. ceramic slip glazing gets fired, melts, and fuses to the ceramic. ceramic glaze like that is (essentially) glass.

the cracks are entirely normal (the spider crazing), they aren't a defect, and they can't be avoided unless there's no expansion or contraction. this was the weakness in old clay earthenware eggs. they would be painted (not glazed) and eventually the moisture got in and the expansion/contraction (and freeze thaw probably) broke them apart. BGE formulated new ceramics which don't break under the same use. that said, your DID fail (assuming it wasn't caused by an injury to the egg like banging it.

i don't see wht that wouldn't be warranteed. it should be.

Tarentin tank is the distributor. they buy a shungload of eggs at wholesale, sell the to retailers, and they sell them to us.

you should get a replacement in my opinion, no questions asked. my ceramic popped little white round spots, but it was on the underside of the dome. no big deal.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • johann
    Options
    warranty was approved today!
    sweet.
  • bugsy12458
    Options
    I have the same issue. Bought my egg in August of 08. Noticed that there are three places where the enamel is flaking off. Sent digital pics to the distributor I bought it from.
  • johann
    Options
    Not to be picky but the replacement lid they sent me seems kinda pitted. Like pine holes where the glazed didn't blend together.
    If I was to warranty something for a customer I would make damn sure it was up to snuff. That's just me though.