Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To the WINNER, Egret!

Options
Sundown
Sundown Posts: 2,980
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
John, I had a great time with you and Joan. And even with your manipulation, bribing and fraud I have to bow to your abilities!

To all: Egret makes the best chili! ;)

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    well carey, you embarressed yourself, and everyone who lives north of the mason/dixon line!!. ..but at least you are man enough to stand up to it!!!. ...i just hope fred doesn't hear about this and cancel your membership to fred's franks and forever ban you from eating pearls!!!. . .

you have to come to waldorf now and watch the spawn put egret in his place in the brownie throwdown!!
  • Sundown
    Options
    I'm working on Gayle for Waldorf. Some conflicting issues going on.

Glad to hear the Spawn has recovered.

Fred is a very forgiving guy plus I have Pearls in the freezer in case of an emergency!

How are you and the other half doing? Have you recovered yet?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    while lots say no beans in the chili, it always seems beans wins. should have gone with the lobster chili, that ones a keeper. ever going to post that chili of yours, i need a simple no bean recipe for the weight loss forum battle.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    LOL. ... can't have too many pearls in the freezer!. ..but would be good to see you in may!!

we are doing ok. . .wife is still suffering anxiety attacks every night. . .i find her out in the living room every morning having woken up in the middle of the night and gone out there to sleep cause she can't. . .but she will 'recover' too .. .me, i'm just tired of all the driving back and forth up I95 ... sydney will be home in two weeks for spring break, so i'm sure we'll all decompress some then as well. ..i'm sure she'll be posting here sometime soon...she is still trying to catch up on herself as well, still very sore on the skin graft site on her leg ...had doctor followups yesterday, etc . .. but she's coming along ...

thx!!!
  • omba
    omba Posts: 241
    Options
    It shows nobility to be willing to increase your debt to a man to whom you already owe much.
    Marcus Tullius Cicero (106–43 B.C.)

Smiling,
    Peter
  • Sundown
    Options
    Thank you.

Every time I go to make pizza I will think if you and your instruction. Had a great time with you and the little woman and all of the rest of those odd folk we hang out with. ;)
  • Sundown
    Options
    Sundown’s Real Man’s Chili

1 tablespoon Cumin
    2 tablespoons Paprika
    1 tablespoon Chipotle powder
    1-tablespoon chili powder

1 pound of coarse chopped yellow onions
    1 pound of ground Beef (85%) Or the same amount of ground brisket*
    1 pound of coarse ground pork
    About 1-½ cans of beef broth (Swanson is what I use)
    Salt
    Pepper

I lightly brown the pork and the beef in the Dutch oven reserving the fat and juice.

Sauté the onions till they are barely transparent or mix raw onions with the meat pour in about half of the broth add the spices stir in the spices then add the rest of the broth.

*(Be careful with the brisket, if it’s over cooked it tends to get a ‘mushy’ feel to the tongue.)

Dome temp at 350º top off – clear smoke – then add the smoking wood of your choice and cook for about an hour. You must taste test it frequently with a cold one in your hand.

To thicken the chili add Masa flour (finely ground corn meal you can find in the Spanish section of your super market.) Use the Masa flour sparingly. If you want thicker chili don’t add as much beef broth to the recipe.

I also float a fresh habanero (seeds and all) just lightly crushed on the top as it cooks or, if that’s too much toss a couple of lightly crushed Jalapenos (seeds and all) in the pot and wait. You can also float a couple of Chipolatas on the top too for a smokier flavor. Serve with crackers or cornbread and lots of cold drinks.

For a Larger amount:

1-½ tablespoons Cumin
    3 tablespoons Paprika
    1 ½ tablespoons Chipotle powder
    1 ½ tablespoons chili powder

*3 pounds of coarse chopped yellow onions
    *1-½ pounds of ground Beef (85%) Or the same amount of ground brisket
    *1 ½ pounds coarse ground pork

Final Note: Don’t go messing with this by putting tomatoes or tomato products of any kind in it. If you prefer beans in your chili add them to the bowl when you serve your guests. Beans can alter the flavor if they are added to the chili during the cook. Enjoy.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Bribing?? there was not ANY bribing.....
    Picture904.jpg
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    and I will use your recipie :) it was good :evil:
  • fishlessman
    Options
    thanks, nice and simple, maybe this weekend. ill make some beans on the side for dad this weekend up camp. ive got the real fine cornmeal but its not as fine as the mesa flour, do you think it matters. ill make your version and add some hotter peppers in another batch, some mex chilis, some thai pepperes, and some cayenne, i like things hot.
    fukahwee maine

• Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    Options
    And I wasn't even there! Can't believe your chili didn't win. I've been using your recipe for a while and have received many compliments. Made it once w/ venison sausage, my son and I gobbled it up, but the wife is not wild about deer meat. Anyway, glad you finally posted it for everyone. I kept my word and didn't give it away. Now folks can try it for themselves and taste what "Real Man's Chili" tastes like. Better luck next time. I agree, blind taste test and voting next time. Egret probably got the 'sympathy vote'.
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    Carey it was a great time and lots of fun with the whole thing. Glad you guys came by the camp site so we could beat up each other. It's all about haveing a good time and no one gets hurt. So if I busted your chops to much then good it work and got you all worked up so you could not cook your so called real man's chili. :laugh:

No it was good hope to see you soon so we could have more fun and you have a open invtation for lunch every year. Oh yea bow to the King next time you see Mr. Hall. :woohoo:
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    fishlessman,

Sundown's chili had some kick. Mine isn't much hotter.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    Options
    im in the weight loss forum, im looking for some thats so hot that i can only get down about a half cup at a time :laugh: im going to make a couple batches in small bean pots up at camp with sundowns recipe and a couple hotter ones.
    fukahwee maine

• Sundown
    Options
    He's kinda old and I had to give it to him. ;)

Mine was a tad on the spicy side for most people and I thought I had toned it down!
  • Sundown
    Options
    Momma told me if I'm going to dish it out then I had better be able to take it when someone dishes it out to me. You? You're an amateur but, a pretty nice guy.

Had a great time at the camp and hope you weren't too put out with our appearance.

I hope Dean and I will be back next year so, thank you in advance.