Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Restaurant depot?

Options
AZRP
AZRP Posts: 10,116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It is 100 miles to the nearest RD, I applied for a membership on line. I've never been to one, is it going to be worth the drive? -RP

Comments

• Yes!

Don't take any money that you don't want to spend.
    Leave your credit/debit cards home!

Take a big cooler and lots of ice. (or, you can buy both there!)

Go early and plan to make a day out of the trip.

Have fun, and don't say you were not warned about buying too much.

Scooby
  • Buckethead
    Buckethead Posts: 285
    Options
    Depends? If you get excited about looking at thousands and thousands of restaurant food products, equipment, fresh meat, produce and frozen food products you won't be disappointed. It is actually like walking around a foodservice distribution center. Buy a case or single bottle can or primal cut of meat. They have RO 20 lb bags very competitive, $8.00 or less. It is nothing like a Costco, or Sam's. It is a warehouse and you will be surrounded by restauranteers purchasing for they're business. I've been in the food biz for 35 years and I still get excited about the new stuff.
    Have fun Doug
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I think you'll enjoy it Randy, if nothing else just to look around at all the gadgets and such. But the real value is in the meat and produce prices. Since you aren't doing much red meat anymore, you probably aren't going to realize a bunch of savings. You can stock up on lump, but beware they keep the US and foreign Royal Oak intermingled so just make sure you get the right stuff. The price is the same for either.
  • Felix
    Felix Posts: 12
    Options
    I've got a Restaurant Depot pretty close to me, but I don't own or work for a restaurant. How serious are they about the membership restrictions? Can a regular guy like me actually get in?
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    yes i used to drive to atlanta to go to the one there but now since the one in charlotte is open i just stop there in fact i will go tomorrow....

one thing it looks like most have not told you BRING A JACKET!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i don't care who you are you can't walk around in a 36 degree cooler but for so long with out a jacket!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Randy I just looked it up online to see if there are any here. Way good lookin stuff from the website. Bad news, none in Colorado
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Options
    I had mixed feelings on my initial trip. Some of the prices were about the same as if you were to buy case prices from Sam's club. But they had stuff like already trimmed st louis style ribs for $2.49 which wasn't bad.

We endeded up getting some choice agnes briskets for $1.65lb. Butts were $1.03lb

We did get some large packages of cheese and some deli meats which were cheaper than anywhere else. Took them home, sliced them and put in food saver. Also bought stuff like andouille sausage which is hard to find around here.

Royal Oak was 8.49 for 20lb bag. soI got 10 bags

I was kind of expecting to see some type of fresh fish or fish on ice but it was just frozen stuff.

Would I go back...yes. But Costco/Sam's club would be my first look just because of the drive.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Randy,

Go to the RD website and look for the flyer for your location. It will tell what they have on sale. Actually a lot od stuff is on sale there. I have bought everything from lump, meat, tongs, IR thermometers, pizza screens, produce, tumblers, pitchers, tables, etc.

Definitely take a large ice chest...
  • AZRP
    Options
    That's like the Dekalb farmers market in Atlanta, I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt every body else had coats on. -RP
  • AZRP
    Options
    Rod, did they carry hi-gluten flour? I'm tired of paying $7 for 3 lbs plus shipping. -RP
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Yes. All Trumps in a 25# bag for $8.49.

I would call and make sure they have it. Sometimes I have looked for it and struck out.

It has the same protein and ash content as the King Arthur, and made some great pizzas according to about 300 people in Ocala last weekend.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    You just need a business license. Any DBA issued by your county clerk will do. Usually about $10

Spring "Doing Business As An Egghead" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    Options
    I just went to one yesterday in Charlotte on the way back from Ocala. I had not planned on going back that way but my 25 dollar coupon was getting ready to expire. I think you will like it. Most of the stuff I bought was for work, paper goods and such but I did get a few things for myself
    The lobster base was 12.38
    The mushroom base 6.63
    50 pounds of onions 7.88 ( if I loose half, I will still be a head) :laugh:
    Charcoal 17.63 pounds for 8.99

DSCN3295.jpg

DSCN3297.jpg
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    You wave as you drove by my house!!! I am about 15 miles from were I-85 and US-1 split.
  • AZRP
    Options
    Very cool, 25 lbs will last me a long time. -RP
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i have a 5 minute rule in such places like resteruant supplies and tackle shops, five minutes then cash out and then look around for things to purchase next time
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    Randy like they said only take what you can spend. I am like a kid in a candy store there. What I like about it is so far everything we bought was restaurant quality from meats to produce. We have about the same amount of distance to travel so we went out and picked up a chest freezer and stocked up. I figure we go there every three months or so now. Thanks Jim ;)
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Cool place to visit.
    Worth the trip to visit at least once.
    Commercial cooking stuff.
    Great baking sheets and racks.
    The produce and meat is a large walk in room.
    Coats are provided but my first visit I wore
    shorts and Teva sandals. I like the cold but after
    30 minutes I was ready to get out.
    Good prices on flash frozen fish of all kinds in single serving size.
    Pizza toppings and fresh cheese.
    But like others have said, MEAT is the deal.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Call and ask them. The one in Atlanta, GA does not require anything. Come in and get a one day pass anytime.
  • Lake Conroe Egger
    Options
    how do you go about getting one of those?

I'm in Montgomery co and could find no info on their website.
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    I drive close to 100 miles to the ATL store. I usually go once every couple of months and I spend way too much time and money. I will go there if im having a big barbeque or get together and stock up. Do you like gyros? They have great Kronos sliced beef/lamb gyros, beef gyros and chicken gyro slices. They are the exact stuff that you get at a Gyro or Great Wrap place. They also have Gyro cones but the presliced works great to just throw on my indoor griddle.