Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone ever do a roasted or smoked tomatoe salsa?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I love to make fresh homemade salsa and since I just got my eg I really want to try to impart that smokey flavor to my salsa the natural way (not from a bottle!). Just wondering if anyone has their own recipe for it that they like and more importantly how to roast the toms and onions? Whet temp.. how long ect.[p]Normally on my old gasser I would coat a thickly sliced red onion and halved orange or yellow bell pepper in olive oil and the roast on the grill until the onion was soft and the pepper charred. I couldn't even begin to roast toms on that grill so I had to use canned. Everything else was fresh. I'm hoping to change that.[p][p]

Comments

• Doh, cant spell... tomato...
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Nardi,
    This works good for me.... gives a good blend of smokey flavour and some crunch....
    Try...
    2 red bell peppers
    2 green bell peppers
    3 vidalia onions
    two dozen plum tomatoes
    lemon juice
    cilantro leaves, minced
    white vinegar
    white sugar
    salt[p]Okay, get the Egg hot....450-500 hot... red coals anyway..
    Rub the red and green peppers with olive oil and plop right on the coals. Let em blacken and blister. Rotate til totally charred on all sides. Either put into a brown paper bag to steam or into a bowl with saran wrap across the top to steam off skins.
    Dice the onions.
    After peppers are finished, cut temp back to 300 or less and put the tomatoes on the grate with a bit of apple wood to smoke. I find slicing the tops off and cutting an 'X' into top surface allows for more smoke absorbtion.
    When starting to darken and skin draws back from the body of the tomato, remove and plunge into ice cold water. Skin should slide off and you can dice/mush tomatoes into a pot.
    Take the peppers from bag/bowl and peel skin off, dice, reserving as much 'juice' as possible and putting into the tomatoes.
    Mix peppers, tomatoes and diced onions along with about 1/4 bunch cilantro, 1/4 cup white vinegar, handful sugar, tablespoon salt and squeeze of lemon and/or lime juice and adjust to your taste.
    This recipe should give you a 'springboard' to personalize to your own tastes. The key is to get smoke/roasting into the peppers and tomatoes, but leave some crispness in the onions. Cilantro is a take it/leave it proposition and if you know up front you don't like it, leave it the heck out!
    Now, giddy up and give it a shot, creating your own imprint on this basic approach!
    Qfan

• Chef Amy
    Chef Amy Posts: 19
    Nardi,
    I have a great salsa recipe that I have previously made with oven roasted tomatoes. Bet you could do the same technique in the BGE. Here's the recipe (my original creation) from our family cookbook:[p]Fresh Caliente (Hot) Tomato Salsa [p]16 fresh tomatoes
    1 large onion
    1 small green pepper
    4 large cloves garlic
    4 jalapeno peppers
    8 serrano peppers
    2 habenaro peppers
    1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
    1-1/2 tsp salt
    1-1/2 tblsp sugar
    2 tsp olive oil [p]
    Place the tomatoes in a baking pan and broil for approximately 15 minutes, turning every 3 minutes to evenly broil. (Or cook in BGE at 500 degrees for same period) Cool and remove skins. Pulse in food processor until lumpy. Place onion, seeded green pepper and garlic in food processor and blend until fine. Seed the jalapeno, Serrano, habenaro peppers and place in food processor with cilantro. Blend until very fine. Heat oil in pan and add all processed ingredients, salt and sugar. Bring to boil and cook approximately 5 minutes. (I suppose you could also do this part on the BGE) Leftover sauce will freeze. [p]Optional: Use whatever hot peppers you have in your garden. I’ve used banana, jalapeno, Serrano, habenaro, poblano, or whatever else we grows. I leave the seeds in the less hot peppers just cause it’s easier. If you wish to make small quantities, adjust in half or in fourths, although this does freeze well and nothing like a bowl of garden fresh salsa for watching a football game in the middle of December.

• Nardi, I have success with coating the tomatoes in olive oil and smoking them for 1/2 hour between 180-200 degrees using mesquite. I then crank it up and roast the peppers
    to they are blistered and charred. I usually cook 12 stem tomatoes,2 anahiem and 1 jalapeno pepper and add fresh onion, cilantro and garlic to taste. Mix everything together and refrigerate overnight for the flavors to mix. Add salt to taste preferably sea salt. To give you some idea of hotness with the above ratio would be mild. I seed the tomatoes and peppers before chopping.

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1,
    Ahhhh, how could I forget.... I small tin of chipotles in adobo sauce....
    Qfan

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Nardi,
    I have tried Qfan's version (posted below) with phenominal results. A few differences....I added a bunch of fresh jalapenos and anaheim peppers (charred with the bells), and lime juice instead of lemon. And my wife is not into raw onions, so I smoked them a bit along with the t'maters. [p]Damn that was good. I can't wait til our pepper and t'mater plants start producing. Been waiting for that momnt since doing some Qfan style salsa last year. I even planted some extra plants this year in anticipation of a mega-batch.[p]Have fun...and please let us know what you end up doing!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • BBQfan1
    Nature Boy,
    Y'know NB, I think I use lime juice too! LOL
    I really should start writing these recipes down some day! So...how does that Tsunami Spin go again?? LOL
    2nd place chicken in our comp with that stuff; it baffled, bewildered, bedeviled and bedazzled those Canadian judges I tell ya! Looking forward to trying it out on the US judges in Vermont!
    Qfan

• my Salsa Recipe (normally made in an oven, but can be modified for the BGE)

Roasted Tomato Salsa[p]Ingredients

12 roma (plum) tomatoes (core the tomatoes before roasting)
    2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
    1 small onion, quartered
    1 jalapeno chile pepper
    1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    [p] Directions
    1 Preheat the broiler.
    2 In a medium baking dish, place roma (plum) tomatoes, garlic, onion and jalapeno chile pepper. Drizzle with olive oil.
    3 Checking often, broil 5 to 10 minutes, or until outsides of vegetables are charred.
    4 Remove vegetables from heat. Remove and discard tomato cores, jalapeno stem and garlic skins.
    5 In a food processor, coarsely chop the charred vegetables. Transfer to a medium bowl and mix in cumin, salt, lime juice and cilantro

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Nature Boy,
    ya better replace them anaheim peppers with some some kind of Devil pepper.
    Heeee!
    ST
    [/b]
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Nardi, My husband smoked some tomatoes in a smoker bag on the BGE the other day. They were wonderful! JCA

• J Appledog,
    Smoker bag??? What is that?

• JimE
    JimE Posts: 158
    Nardi,
    This one is fabulous:[p]6 ripe tomatoes
    1 large onion, quartered
    2 jalapeno peppers
    4 garlic cloves
    1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
    3/4 bunch cilantro, stemmed
    salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
    1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce[p]Grill the tomatoes, onions, and jalapenos until the vegetables are slightly blackened. Pulse all ingredients in a food processor until the salsa is fairly coarse. Refrigerate. [p]