Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frijoles a la Charra

Options
Austin Smoker
Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My bride was again attempting to win the She-EO of the Century Award with a present for the 3rd Anniversary of my 40th Birthday:

DSC_0014.jpg

So, I thought I'd break the new Lodge DO in with some of my favorite beans. Soaked 1.5 lbs of Pintos overnight, so they were ready for some love....pork love I mean. This is the first time I've done beans on the egg, but didn't want to get it all heated up to render the bacon, only to have to cool it back down for the rest of the cook. So the brand new DO went on the old DCS for the render. 3/4 lb of Center Cut bacon until good and crispy, then 2 cups chopped onion, 1/2 cup chopped garlic, 1 chopped Jalepeno, 4 Tbs of minced Cliantro - oh the aroma!

DSC_0015-2.jpg

Got the onions good and transulscent:

DSC_0017-1.jpg

Added 1/2 gallon water, the beans, 2 Tbs of Chipotle Chili Powder, 2 Tbs of Cumin, 1.5 Tbs of sea salt, 1 Tbs fresh cracked pepper and moved the DO to the egg, pre-heated to 350 indirect, with a big chunk of Hickory:

DSC_0019-1.jpg

After 1.5 hours on the egg, checked the texture of the beans (all good!) and added 2 cups of chopped Roma tomatoes, another 2 Tbs of Cilantro and 1 Tbs of chopped garlic. 15 minutes later, and she looked like this:

DSC_0020.jpg

Of course, HAD to have some cornbread to go with the Charra's:

DSC_0022.jpg

The wife and kids agreed that the subtle smoke REALLY kicked these beans we already loved up to the next level...gotta love the Egg. I bet they will be even better tommorrow. :woohoo:

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    wow those looks great...

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Looks great. I just hope I don't gain too much weight trying all thes great ideas and recipes. I find myself getting brave trying new things and making modifications to my taste. That one I will not modify, those are my kind of beans! :laugh:
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Brad....out of this world..........SE VEN DELICIOSOS
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Now that looks good!

Thanks for all of the measurements, too. I will try this out in the next few weeks.

I asked my wife if she like the egg, and she said yes, but the accessories keep on keeping on. Now I have to add dutch oven to the list...

Richard
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    The good thing is that they are fairly cheap.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Bookmarked and ready to cook Saturday. Those look terrific.

I want to do some enchiladas this weekend and I just know these will make for a great side.
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    Perfect timing - I was needing a good bean recipe for dinner tomorrow (and I also was craving cornbread....)!

Do you think I can use the large, chunky portions from the spares I did last night in place of the bacon? The butcher had trimmed the ribs St. Louis style but included the large extras in the package. They're already cooked (smoked with apple); maybe just chop them up and mix in at the beginning?
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • Austin Smoker
    Options
    I think so...you'll just want to use some other fat (oil) to start the onions, etc with...if the ribs tips weren't cooked yet I would say absolutely.

mkc wrote:
    Perfect timing - I was needing a good bean recipe for dinner tomorrow (and I also was craving cornbread....)!

Do you think I can use the large, chunky portions from the spares I did last night in place of the bacon? The butcher had trimmed the ribs St. Louis style but included the large extras in the package. They're already cooked (smoked with apple); maybe just chop them up and mix in at the beginning?
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Beautiful Cook! I really liked the play by play. I wish I could crawl into the screen to taste some. :laugh:
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    What a great post and "how to".
    Thank you.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    That is one great looking pot of beans. I rarely look ahead to soak the beans overnight and end up cooking about 4 hours plus. The soak will really get you closer to the two hour mark?
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Beans to the corrupt one? :blink: Went to two sites trying to get the translation and that's what I got. Can anyone help? Looks like an awesome cook btw. ;) Yummy.
  • bitslammer
    bitslammer Posts: 818
    Options
    Wow. Now I have to go to the Mexican place for lunch just to try and get a little of that taste.
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    Austin Smoker wrote:
    I think so...you'll just want to use some other fat (oil) to start the onions, etc with...if the ribs tips weren't cooked yet I would say absolutely.

Frijoles y Puerco a la Charra (is that right? Cowboy Pork and Beans?) came out great!

I used Yellow Indian Woman beans from Rancho Gordo which have a natural smokiness and don't turn to mush (I didn't have any pintos on hand).

Didn't have any jalapenos BUT I had some frozen roasted Hatch chiles so I cleaned and diced up 3 and sauteed them with the onions and garlic (in olive oil).

With all the seasoning on the rib tips (the trimmings from the spares were larger than a rack of babybacks!) plus the Hatches, I cut the cumin to 1 Tablespoon, used 1 Tablespoon of chipotle/adobo puree, and only about 1 teaspoon of salt. For tomatoes I used a can of fire roasted diced.

Served with blue corn bread. This was the first time I'd made it with blue cornmeal and we loved the added natural sweetness against the spice of the frijoles.

frijoles.jpg

Thanks for the inspiration!
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • Austin Smoker
    Options
    Looks great to me Michelle!