Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NEED DUTCH OVEN

Options
danny285
danny285 Posts: 360
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to purchase a new dutch Oven for beans, chilie and stew on LrBGE. Any suggestions to get a cast iron or porcelin. thanks in advance

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Lodge cast iron is some of the best made. You can find their dutch ovens in many places. You can also look up their webiste and check the different sizes to see what will fit best on your egg.
  • Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Options
    Sam's Club had a 6.5 qt. porcelin cast iron for around $40. I just picked up a Lodge 5 qt. cast iron for the same amount at Cabela's. If you hit it right, you can sometimes find nice porcelin ones at TJMAX for a good price, especially when they mark them down.

Both will cook the same. No seasoning to maintain on the porcelin. My wife doesn't like me using the "good" cookware on the Egg, that's why I bought the Lodge.

Slick
  • JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    Options
    Just great for the egg
    123008001.jpg
    061808012.jpg
    easy to clean too
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    If you are going to do Tomato based things I would go for the porcelain coated CI. I just bought a 6.5 one from Sam's for $35.00.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Also, Academy Sports sell Lodge cast iron (non-porcelain) in their camping/BBQ section. Good prices.
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    Take Crimson gator's advice and get the Lodge 7qt cast iron DO. It is a horse but almost weighs as much as one. You can get it preseasoned but it is no big deal to season it. You can't go wrong.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    ive got seasoned cast, cheap coated generic from marshals, and coated expensive lecrueset. they all cook well in the egg. my choice would be the coated stuff but i like to have both.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GrillDaddy
    GrillDaddy Posts: 295
    Options
    I have used an old crock pot w/o lid when cooking. The nice thing about that is when you are finished; you can put the crock pot w/ lid in the metal casing and set it to keep warm and eat it later that day.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    The Lodge enamel is very nice and a little higher in price. If you can swing it you will be happy. Be careful not to melt the handle.
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    I've got that exact DO from Tractor Supply Co. last summer when they were offering free shipping with purchase of $25 or more. Deliver to my door for $32.50. That must have hurt them.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    That nakes JUST TOO MUCH sense. Got to work good and why not. It makes sense will give it a shot this weekend.
  • Keving
    Keving Posts: 36
    Options
    I have a Lodge cast iron one and it does great.
  • SteveinTN
    SteveinTN Posts: 232
    Options
    i have the lodge cast iron. I love it!
  • Hot Stuff
    Hot Stuff Posts: 82
    Options
    We have a lot of cast iron (mostly skillets) and it is great, Lodge is the best ... but porcelain is even better ... costs a little more, but you NEVER have to worry about re-seasoning after a failure with a tomatoe based recipe ... we have 6 pieces of Le Crueset that we have used everyday for about 15 years and it is still going strong ... guarenteed for life with a free replacement from the company ... I did have to apoligize to my wife after a few years though for scolding her when she bought something that expensive to cook in ... she hasn't let me forget it either.