Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp For Tuna Steaks

Options
Dan in StL
Dan in StL Posts: 254
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have some really nice tuna steaks I'm getting ready to throw on the egg. Fidel has a recipe out there I'm going to try. I just wanted to see if someone can give me a pointer on the temp. I'm thinking this is going to be QUICK sear, direct. But I'm also thinking I don't wanna go to nuclear temps like you would for beef steaks. 375? 400?

Thanks

Comments

• lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    your temps are good watch the grey form use your thermopen and click this for thickness and temp results
    good luck and don't walk away from the tuna B)

th_0ecbef5b.jpg
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Dan - I am assuming you are going to cook this rare?? If so, Please, go Nuke Sear! Absolutely, the hotter the grill, the better!! (When we do this in the restaurant, we use a skillet that is literally, smokin hot). Get the egg the nuke stage.... just my two cents.
    Michelle
    Hollywood, FL
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    michelle has a point BUT she also has experience that i did not i went with lower temps and the thermopen as it was sushi grade tuna $20+ a pound and i watched it carefull and kept sticking it. if you watched my slide show i found the 100 degree a bit over done,,, that said i am a two time winner of the bubba tim approved carnivore award and i can prove it, raw is good

a2a3e655.jpg

as my recently departed mother was fond of saying 'if you can't hear it moo it is over cooked' i am sure that applies to tuna but i don;t know what sound they make :unsure:
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    aw, don't let Tim fool you. He did wings with lemon grass inserted in it (wings...with LEMON GRASS). Not very "carnivore" if you ask me. He may be losing his touch.
  • Bootleg
    Bootleg Posts: 49
    Options
    I don't have the training nor the experience of being any kind of Chef like 'Little Chef' does but my best friend and I have cooked a tuna steak before. I believe we sprinkled the tuna with a flavor of Dizzy Pig and nuked it at like 800+ degrees for 60 seconds a side. DELICIOUS!!! Don't be scared, just NUKE!!!

Bootleg
    Evans, GA
  • Dan in StL
    Dan in StL Posts: 254
    Options
    The jury seems to be in. I'm gonna nuke the tuna ever so briefly. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Thanks to everyone for the quick replies. I had to finish watching Missouri eek one out of Marquette before I got the show on the road anyway!
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Gene...His wings are certain proof that Bubba Tim, carnivore and all, is a very versatile cook, and creative as well! :woohoo: Least he didn't revert to SISSY BAKING!! :woohoo: :whistle: Besides, we didnt hear any complaints while you were scarfing down 'said wings'.... :whistle:
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    sissy baking ????? i think you meant silcone melting :laugh: :evil:
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Actually, I think it means that Tim takes direction from LC very well. Speaking of that...I saw a lot of talking my Tim and MORE working by LC during the wing cookoff.

No complaints from me.
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Low blow, Gene. This is the THANKS I get for helping you with your cornbread and banana bread bakes??? I even helped you make the shortcake...and this is the thanks we get? Sheesh.... And I didnt help Bubba in the wing cookoff. You really think if I did, he woulda got beat by Poot Butt?? I'm tellin ya, it was rigged... :blink: :woohoo: :evil:
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    I am just saying you had a game face on and well....bubba had his socializing skills polished.

If you were in a throwdown with Mike, I would have to make you cook blindfolded and with one hand just to even things up for him. :laugh: