Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Finished!

Options
Smokin' Todd
Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
P6080026.JPG
<p />Brisket: Choice Grade 14 lbs
Price: $25.00
Total time: 15 hrs 35 minutes.
Temp: 12 hrs 45 min @ 230
2 hrs 50 min @ 250
Wood: Cherry chunks with misqite chips mixed throughout coals for constant smoke that I prefer.
Rub: 50/50 of Dizzy Pig Cow-lick, brownulated sugar.[p]Here she is about to be wrapped with many layers of foil and towel for the cooler. Used two gauges and both read exactly 200*.
Looks great and temp is where I want it. Just have to wait until about 6pm for taste test.
Thanx all for your responses that helped me through this.[p]
[/b]

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Smokin' Todd, My experience w/briskets is that the wrapped rest period after the cook is important. Until I started doing this all my briskets, though flavorful, were all drier than I liked. Think the wrap & rest allows available moisture & juices to redistribute throughout the meat, enhancing not only moisture, but flavor as well. Briskets seem to be less predictable as far as time to cook, however. Anymore I usually plan on plenty of time, & figure on a rest period in the cooler to take up any slack. Congrats...ERIC [p]
  • Joel Ferman
    Joel Ferman Posts: 243
    Options
    Smokin' Todd,
    I thought that was going to be one of those mastercard type things.... Price $25, Time 15.25hrs, cherry wood $3, finished product..... priceless ;-)
    -Joel

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Smokin' Todd,[p]You know something???? Your post had in it the most damned obvious solution for a stupid problem I've had. Using two temperature probes for a large piece of meat. I don't know HOW many times I've had the probe ding at me that it was done, but when I take it out and put it in another side, it is 20 over or 20 under or something. Having two probes going at once would definitely give a more reasonable interpretation of what is going on in there. Cannot believe it never occurred to me.[p]I owe ya one, Todd! Kiss kiss kiss. [p]mShark
  • Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    MollyShark,[p]And the two were brand new. I used the dome temp gauge i baught last night at home depot and the meat thermometer that was given as a door pakage from Eggfest. Plus I calibrated by testing them with boiling water. I just needed to make sure I get as accurate as I possibly can for this.
    Hey.. a fourth kiss would have put me on the next flight to TX :) Heheheh.[p]ST
    [/b]