Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Band issues

Options
gasface
gasface Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok so I have my first BGE (XL)
Im putting together now but Im having an issue with the band..

The bottom one went on pretty good but the top one is a little funky. It went on easy and appears to be fine but it wont tighten nearly as much as the lower one.
My bottom band has about .5 inches between nuts where the the top one is around an inch and a quarte.. It seems pretty darn tight. So my issue is now the hinge nuts are not aligned.
Im considering tightening as hard a I can, but being that it seems that its very tight now, Im a little worried if I tighten to much it may crack the egg. I probably have 3/4 of an inch of a gap to close.

Ha anyone dealt with a similar situation?

Comments

• Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    The bands will have a different gap just tighten them as per your instructions. I have a XL and the bottom band does close up tighter than the top. Don't sweat it.
  • steveo29
    steveo29 Posts: 46
    Options
    I've put lots of XL eggs together. The top band will never tighten as much as the bottom. After the first week or so it is recommended to re-tighten the bands a little. The back hinges shouldn't interfere with lag bolts at all. You have got to have something miss aligned. Take a picture of the back where you're having the problem and post it up.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    The 8 small bolts on the hinge are not a function of alignment, contrary to a popular video. Make sure they are tight before tightening the band bolts.

You should be able to somewhat feel the tightness of the bolt with your wrench. If the wider gap nut has about the same tension as the lower band nut the bands are about equally tight.

My large bands are not equal either. Bottom band is almost touching and the upper band has about 1/2" gap.

Medium egg bolts are pretty close to one another.

Follow the instructions unitl the bolts bend.

GG
  • R&R Futures Trader
    Options
    I just looked at mine and they are different. It looks like the top is an 1/8 inch smaller then the bottom one.

What I did was to tighten so there wasn't any wiggle in it. I check it a couple days later and retightened just a little bit. Never have had a problem.

Good cookin

ross
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Bolts should be bent...

GG