Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burgers

Options
disabledDK
disabledDK Posts: 64
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi everyone, I'm egging some burgers for dinner. I've tried multiple ways to egg burgers, but have not found the one I'm looking for. Please give me your insights on flavoring, temp (lo-slo, high), direct or inderect, time, ect... I thank you for all your help. DK

Comments

• Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    DK,
    a family favorite is a meatloaf style burger. I put the ground beef in a bowl, add 1 egg and all my ingredients (shredded cheeses, onion soup mix or ranch powder dressing, garlic powder, white pepper & kosher salt and mix very very well. I let this sit several hours to thoroughly flavor the meat. I then make patties and coat with montreal steak seasoning.[p]We cook them direct, similar to a steak... 1:30 per side and 4 minute dwell. We pull them at 135.[p]For a real treat, substitute hamburger with Buffalo burger found in health food stores. You will NOT be dissapointed[p]Banker John

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    burgers.jpg
    <p />DK,[p]Great choice for a sunday meal!
    Now about ingredients...depends on what you like and who you are cooking for. If for many people with different preferences simple salt and pepper will do just fine with 80% ground!
    If ya wanna broaden some horizens, and if ya like me who loves much STUFF in bergers, make 'em "meatloaf style" megas!
    80% ground beef with:
    1 egg per pound of ground beef
    kosher salt
    black pepper
    fresh chopped onion
    fresh chopped garlic
    pkg of fresh oregano
    Fresh chopped parsley[p]Mix well WITH HAND
    1/3-1/2 patties 550-600 degrees at 4 minutes a side. Serve on SOFT italian style berger rolls. Use cheese at will, but not recommended as I feel cheese kills meat flavor...and NO KETCHUP! USE FRESH SLICED TOMATOES for best eggperience![p]Give it a try, and enjoy!![p]ST
    [/b]
  • disabledDK
    Options
    banker john, thank you for info. I might not wait till dinner to fire up the egg. DK

• disabledDK
    Options
    Smokin' Todd, I love the pick with the mini. Thank you for the info, I knew I could depend on the eggheads. DK

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    DK,
    I like to keep mine simple. 6oz patties of ground chuck. Splash with worcestershire sauce, coat with montreal steak seasoning, or dizzy pig cow lick. Grill direct on raised grid at 550 about 4 minutes per side. Yummmmmy![p]~nikki

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    I'm going to be different from everyone else so far, DK. First of all, I probably cook bigger burgers (1 to 2 lb.) than most folks are talking about. I usually coat mine with a good dose of Montreal Steak seasoning or Cow Lick rub. I put them on direct at 350-375°, close the egg, then flip after 30 minutes. The burgers are usually done after 15-20 minutes on the second side. I don't have any problem with flare-ups, the burgers are nice and juicy, and the outside crusts up nicely. Takes a little longer, but a lot less lid opening, flipping, and the fire is easy to control.[p]Jim
  • disabledDK
    Options
    JSlot, I'm doing close to 1lb burgers. That sounds pretty good to me. Thanks for the eggvise. DK

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    DK,
    keep em simple. . . i mix in maybe a couple of tablespoons of whatever bbq sauce i have in the fridge, to a couple of pounds of 80/20 burger. .. make 1/2 pound pattys. .. sprinkle with kosher salt and either ground pepper or a little dizzy pig cow lick. . .i grill them direct at around 400 about 6 minutes per side. ..[p]1 thing for sure, don't press on the burgers with a spatula. .. all you'll do is squeeze the juice out of them. . even a well done burger in your egg will ooze juice for you. . .[p]i've said this before. .. burger on gas were good, they were great on the weber.. .a burger on the egg makes you forget all about the first two. . .[p]last night, had some red and yellow peppers, cut them into big slices, grilled them with the burgers... had a slice on my bun w/ my cheese burger,. ..really excellent