Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen Question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I should get my first ever Thermapen from Thermoworks this comming tuesday. My first test for my new yellow toy will be to check the temp in the center of a 2 inch thick ribeye steak. I'll be cooking direct at around 650 degrees What temp reading should I get for a medium or mediun rare finish.
Thanks. This forum is the best![p]Garyj

Comments

• Charcoal Mike
    Options
    GaryJ,[p]Here is a list (I believe it was Nature Boy) posted for me back when I had the same question. Pretty much covers the basics, and has been dead-on for me during my cooks. If anyone has any to add, please chime in. [p]Boston Butt or Brisket: 200 to pull, 180 to slice
    Chicken: 165 Breast, 180 Thighs
    Pork Chops or Pork Loin (or Tenderloin): 145
    Ribs: 180-190
    Steaks: 125 rare, 135 medium rare, 140 medium
    Turkey: 160 Breast, 170 Thigh[p]Hope this helps![p]Cheers -[p]Mike[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    Helps alot!! Thanks for the reply.[p]GaryJ

• Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    GaryJ,
    For our steaks here, I prefer to pull the meat at the 132-134 range. Remember, the steaks will continue to cook a few minutes once pulled. When I pull at the above temps, the end result is a consistent pink center, but when compressed with a fork, no blood juice appears.[p]On a 2 inch ribeye, I also do 2:45 per side then dwell 3:30 and begin the probe check. (a basic precaution: Watch for flashback)[p]Enjoy your new thermopen!! Mine is lime green[p]Banker John

• Unknown
    Options
    banker john,
    Thanks for the advice, I can't wait, at last I can have consistancy cooking steaks.[p]GaryJ