Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

!st Ever Attempt @ Brisket!

Options
Smokin' Todd
Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
P6070005.JPG
<p />Brisket is the one thing I have never done to date, so I decided to give it a try this weekend. I found a butcher shop close to home that can get anything on demand. I ordered something in the area of 8 lbs-10lbs...as close to 8 he can get. Well this morning when I picked it up he sold me this huge 14 lber. As compensation for going to high over the weight limit he sold it to me for $25 total rather then the 2.30 lb he originally quoted.
Well folks ...it's sitting in the fridge with 50/50 brown sugar and cow-lick ready for 6pm start. Im guessing close to 2 hrs a pound at 220-250 for 190-200 internal?
Thanx for help!
ST
[/b]

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Smokin' Todd,
    That fire's gonna be going for 28 hours plus. I followed Elder Ward's fire-building diections, and went 26 hours without ANY issue. Following day I cooked again for a couple hours at 350 on the SAME load of lump. So don't worry about the length of time of the cook (not that you said you were).[p]I filled the egg up past the fire box, and a little more than halfway up into the fire ring, about 2 inches below the grid level.[p]Good luck.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Options
    Smokin' Todd,
    I would recommend 250° and an hour and a half per pound. Should be done in about 21 hours. You might bump up the heat a little to speed things along.
    Did you have any trouble fitting that monster on your egg? I usually try to keep mine more in the 6 to 9 pound range, course I only have a medium.

• AndyR
    AndyR Posts: 130
    Options
    Smokin' Todd,
    "I found a butcher shop close to home that can get anything on demand."[p]I am drooling at that thought alone. Butchers around me are noting more the specialized resellers. Good luck with that chunk-o-meat. Done right, there is no better 'Q.

• Unknown
    Options
    Due to Forum rules I will not mention what smoker I will be using, but I am still pending on a large green guy:(.
    In case you wonder why I post on this forum; it is because the advise here is awesome, plus time/temps is prety much universal no matter what cooker is used.
    Thanx so much for the responses!. I really hope time to finish is closer to 21 hrs. Brisket went on at exactly 7:05 EST, so I really really hpe finish tme is in the area of 4 pm tomorrow!

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Smokin' Todd,
    BGE hasn't updated profiles. My e-mail is mjmckernan@aol.com
    E-mail me, I owe you an apology![p]CWM

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Holy mackerel, Todd! $2.30/lb!? That sounds like highway robbery! I realize there's a huge regional price difference as far as meats go, but that seems excessive. $2+ a pound is a fairly normal price around here for pre-trimmed brisket flats, but packer cuts sell at Wally World for 98¢/lb. The highest I've seen this year is $1.18/lb. Good luck with the cook and look forward to hearing how it turns out![p]Jim