Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New design for XL; Why can't I find one???

Options
florida Nick
florida Nick Posts: 101
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, so I am trying to purchase my first BGE, I have decided on the XL. As the very knowledgeable and extremely helpfull tjv told me and as it says on his ceramicgrillstore.com website, there is a new design for the XL regarding the fire box and fire ring. Here's my problem, I have been to four different places that sell the XL and none of them have any idea what i'm talking about when I ask about the "new" XL. One place told me that the XL I was looking at was indeed the new design (it was not) and another called the distributor they order from and they didn't even know about the new design.
So does anyone know of a distributor that actually sells the latest and greatest XL? (I am on the east coast of FL)
I am itching to get my first egg and I can't seem to find anyone who carries the new design or even knows about it for that matter.
PLEASE HELP!!!

Comments

• lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    i would contact the mothership [bge] directly and ask for advice. you have the link for that, yes???
    bill
  • florida Nick
    Options
    Good call. I suppose I should have thought of that. Thanks Bill.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    better than beating your head against whe wall going from dealer to dealer .. good luck hope you acquire the intended target soon and are posting pics of your cooks.
  • florida Nick
    Options
    Just sent an email to BGE customer service. Hopefully they will be able to help.
    thanks again.
    Anyone actually have the new XL?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    a phone call in the morning probably will be better than your email - especially if you're wanting to buy one tomorrow. This is just off the top of my head but I think the "new design" is nothing more than a different size fire ring. Not like a new car model coming with full race high compression chrome dipstick.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    It's a pretty sure bet that you wont see a "new" design XL in a dealer until the supply chain has run out of "old" design XL's...personally don't know what the changes are...I would expect you are looking at 4 to 6 months to see anything new at a dealer...So if you're willing to wait you might get what you want..
  • Hamilton
    Hamilton Posts: 115
    Options
    The dealer where I bought my XL had no idea that the XLs had been re-designed, but the distributor did. Even though he had the old style sitting on his floor I made him order me the newer one.
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Options
    I've been looking for a full race high compression chrome dipstick for about two weeks now. I'm just salivating about the increased performance potential. lol.

I hope he finds his new improved XL. I wasn't aware there was a newer model available.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    If it comes with a keg dispenser attached I'm in otherwise I will live with my old XL. Good luck to you.
  • MilitantSquatter
    Options
    I also recently talked with Tom(tjv) and had the same thoughts about confirming what I was gonna receive.

I am getting my XL at Waldorf Eggfest. I spoke with Naomi at Waldorf to register and place my demo egg order. She was not aware of the change (except hinge change) but called BGE for me and they confirmed they have been shipping the redesigned models for several months to the distributors. At the time Waldorf/Seasonal Distributors was out of stock on XL's so the new stock will definitely be the new design.

As far as local dealers, I think the challenge there aside from not being made aware of the changes and not sure what to look for (as Tom noted to me, the same part #'s are being used for fire ring/box), they can't tell what they have if the units/components are are boxed/crated up.

if they have old inventory to sell through first, they will not see new material until they or their regional distributor sell through their supply first.

Good Luck !!
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Pretty sure I have a new one. I havent looked into it too much but based on what I have seen it is a newer design.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Alright, Now I am scratching my head . What are the differences between old and new design?
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Come on up to Atlanta. I can guarantee you will get the new XL and the new XL plate setter also.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I haven't been to an Eggfest yet but Does Mother ship show up with a sleigh full of Eggs?
  • RRP
    Options
    come on Bobby-Q tell us what the difference is!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    There has also been a change in the medium. The fire ring but not sure about the fire box, I don't know if anything else.

GG
  • RRP
    Options
    this pix might answer your question as for what they do in Hotlanta
    DSC00093.jpg
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    If those are the only changes and not the Egg it self. Just get an older model eventually the fire ring and Fire box will have to be replaced.(lifetime Warranty and then you will have a "New one". Just cook a lot and cook often. :laugh: I got to go fire both of mine up I am Eggin tonight! :woohoo: Pizza :woohoo: and a Pork Tender loin :woohoo:
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    So what is the difference between older and neweer model? Anyone?
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Gotcha. Thanks Gonna go check. Not that it matters. I got what I got and I am gonna keep on Eggin. :woohoo:
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    That is one wonderful sight Ron. Makes my heart go pitter patter. :laugh:

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    OK, I have an older model. I will sleep better tonight. I don't know what the advantages would be other than being able to get a deeper drip pan between the Plate setter and the grid. personally I don't think it really matters and again the fire box and fire ring don't wont forever with the amount I cook.
  • RRP
    Options
    pitter patter? Is that a conditon that keeps the old "pecker wrecker" in check?

BTW I spent 5 hours today making our favorite pizza sauce from scratch. We have enough now for 10 pizzas moving forward!
  • JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    Options
    Got a new ring and firebox last month for my second medium and the ring fits much better no more 2 inch gap on one side or the other also the fire box air holes have been moved down some. At first I was scepticle, but soon found it does breath much better than the older style. My other medium fire box is in about 6 pieces so it will not be too long until a new one replaces it.
    012009006.jpg
  • DoveHunt
    DoveHunt Posts: 14
    Options
    Just put together my "new" XL last night after asking the seller spacifically if it was the new model they thought it was. It is the old model. Lot of money for an old model. What should the most recent hinge look like??
  • JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    Options
    I don't have a xl but if you got springs on it then it is the new model. If I am right the only thing different is the fire ring/box design. It makes about a inch more space down in the egg. When the plate setter is in it will creat a little more space between the setter and the grate. It should not affect it's cooking what so ever. However the assesory talked about in this tread would not work as designed if it is the new design. It's point is to raise the grid to the felt line so if it's a inch shorter it would still be down in the grill some.
  • AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    Options
    My one wish is that BGE communicated with dealers on BGE matters and left distributors up to distributing......... Well two wishes, the same dealer prices across the board.