Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Homecoming of sorts

sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all,

Been a hundred years (well not literally but it seems like it) since I've posted here thought I still brows occasionally. I've been digging through the archives for the past hour or so and found one of my first posts back in January of 2000, man it brings back memories. My wife got me my medium egg for a Christmas present in Dec. of 1999. Since that time, and I blame it all on the egg, I got into competition BBQ and have been cooking for several years in the KCBS circuit (Smokin' T's is the team name) and I also organize the Mt. Vernon, IL King City BBQ Showdown for the past 6 years. Comps are not done on eggs, we use an FE and a CTO for those, but I still cook on the egg quite a bit. Great to see this forum so active and even better too see so many new names on the forum. Just wanted to say hi.

Troy

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Good to hear from you Troy it has been a while.
    Larry
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Hi Troy,

I always wondered why you dropped out of sight as we both came on to the board about the same time and both of us are from IL. OTOH I knew you had a busy and successful software company so I thought that may have been the reason too.

Others have come and gone too - in fact some like JJ and KennyG are even deceased. Dr Chicken is on the lam hiding from creditors such as myself, C~W stays at the P board and never darkens our door anymore and the list goes on and on.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • sprinter
    Yep, software business is still going strong. Cant complain about that in this economy. We just picked up a software maintenance and support contract with Continental Tire here in town, which is SWEEEEEEEET. They just got word that CT is shutting down one of their European plants and moving that production here, so things are pretty busy as a result of that.

Its fun to look at some of the old names and see what they are up to. Some, like Nature Boy, also got the competition bug and hit that circuit as well. I've actualy competed against him (or his team Dizzy Pig anyway) at a couple of competitions.

I think I remember Doc Chicken leaving, something to do with a boosted or copied recipe or something like that? I've also seen CW at the P forum as well. Most of my time is spent at the competition forum kicking around product presentation ideas and mulling over how poorly I did at the last competition and complaining about the judging. Its good to venture back to the old stomping grounds and see what everyone is doing. Lots of great ideas here.

There is a KCBS competition in Centralia, IL the first weekend in May, Smokin' T's will be there. If you have a free weekend and want to experience the competition side of things, its a great time, would love to have you hand out at the cook site for a bit.

I'll check in more often now, its fun to read the ideas that people have and to see what everyone is cooking.

Troy
  • sprinter
    Thanks Larry. I've followed the forum occasionally over the years but have just not had much to say. Seems like by the time I see a post that I can add to, some other egger has the answer posted. Great group of cookers, I continue to learn something just about every time I stop in.

Troy
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Hi back to ya Sprinter, good to see you here again. Come on back home, pop in now and then or whatever works for ya.

Hope your enjoying the BBQ circuit.

Welcome home,
    Bordello
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Good to see you checking in Troy. Did you know they had an eggfest in Springfield, MO last year? Should be better this year, it is towards the end of September.

Mike