Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs

Options
Auburnegger
Auburnegger Posts: 127
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doing ribs for the first time tomorrow.

I will be using my own rub and setting them in the V rack and letting them cook.

How long should I plan to cook them?
What temp?
When do I sauce the ribs?
How will I know they are done?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Cook them indirect at around 240/250 for 5 to 6 hours. Once you have determined they are close to being done, add sauce the last 25/30 minutes. Look for the meat at the end of the rib to receed about 1/2 inch. If you pick up with tongs the ribs should almos break in half. I also temp them to an internal of 200/210between the bones. I do this to check the accuracy of my guesses. Look at how the meat is pulling back from the tip of the ribs. These are close to being done. Good luck to you. Tom BabybackcookMarch5.jpg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    What kind of ribs?????

Dome 225° - 250° (calibrated correctly)

Most posts I see report much longer cooking times than take for me, I don't know why. But the following works for me.

I always cook to temperature not time. With ribs when they are tender using a fork and or tooth pick.

Beef - 4 to 5 hours. I look for 1.5 to 2 inch pull back.

Spars take a little longer than babybacks.

Babybacks. 3 to 4 hours again fork tender and/or tooth pick.

Country style ribs, till tender & about 145°

I don't sauce or use aluminum foil during the cook. I cook dry.

Done as described above & as you can see below I also taste test. (cook treat)

Beef

beefrib1.jpg

Babyback

ribs1.jpg

GG
  • Ashman
    Ashman Posts: 375
    Options
    Auburnegger,

Don't forget to remove the membrane from the back side. And you will know they are done when the whiskey runs out!! :woohoo:

War Eagle!!

Gordon
  • JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    Options
    Good advice up above. Depends on which type of ribs you are cooking on the time. One thing I do is to pick them up in the middle of the rack and when they almost fold in half I figure they are almost done and then start putting the sauce to them for 20 mins.
    062908a006.jpg
    062908a012.jpg
    Good luck!