Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

soaking chips

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Do you guys have a general rule on when and/or when not to soak wood chips? also, for how long?

should be doing my first cook - ribs - this is the last piece of the puzzle (i think) thks

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,769
    Options
    no need to soak chips with an egg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hamilton
    Hamilton Posts: 115
    Options
    To me, throwing something wet on my hot coals never made any sense.
  • SGT BBQ
    SGT BBQ Posts: 190
    Options
    When I use chips i soak the chips for about 2-3 hours in water. When I use chunks they are not soaked.
  • would not soaking the chips give it more smoke flavor!

so for doing ribs for 4 hours - would you guys recommend or not recommend soaking the chips? Thks
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    In most circumstances, the flow of air in the Egg is so small that even chips cannot burst into flame. Only when you open the dome is there enough air to make the wood chips burst into flame. Go with chunks when possible, as that will give a longer time if you need to open the dome.

Adding moisture to wood smoke increases the chance of creosote formation when the smoke is just above the temperature for steam, so less moisture is better.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Really, no need for soaking, it just increases the time it will take to get the wispy "blue" smoke that right for cooking. Do mix the chips through out the lump so that you get smoke continually.
  • SGT BBQ
    SGT BBQ Posts: 190
    Options
    I don't know if it will give it more flavor. I was under the impression that the chips would burn up that much faster if they went in dry. I get good smoked flavor with or without soaking the chips.
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    I do not soak the chips. I also prefer the bigger chunks of wood rather then the chips
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    for a low n slow you will not have a roaring fire. put some chips in different layers of the lump and light away. No need to soak...
  • what i do is put the chips in the microvave for 3 minutes and then cover for a couple of hours minimun. this seems to open the pours of the wood and allow a longer smoke.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I don't think there is any way to know if one gets a deeper smoke or not with soaking.

Soaking will delay the release the aroma of the wood later in the cook.

In the past, I have made aluminum foil tub of chips. Use a piece of foil and make a tub of sorts about 1 to 2 inches wide and about 3 inches long. Put the soaked chips in the tub and add water. Wrap the sides & end of the foil and poke a few holes in the top of the tup.

I put 3 to 4 tubs on the lump as well as a few non soaked chips on the lump.

Now if I can't find chunks and am forced to use chips I put a palm full or 1 and 1/2 palm full just out side the burning lump then another palm full just touching the burning lump. I might scatter some more chips around but that usually isn't necessary.

Sometimes I will add chips during the cook, but if I add I do it sparingly as a lot of smoke will come quickly.

GG
  • where have i heard that before?
    heh heh heh

i used to get beaten to death when i said that, but it seems to have found its way into the common consciousness after saying it enough over the years.

what's more, is it isn't even about low air flow. my chips (or bits of twigs, even) don't burst into flame even when they go in during a nuclear sear. as long as the egg is stabilized, all the air (ok, oxygen, to the nitpickers) is being consumed. tossing wood on TOP will give you the odd phenomenon of wood smoldering while in direct contact with 1800 degree lump, not quite bursting into full flame. odd thing to see. open the dome, however, and FOOM, the wood will catch fire.

soaking is unnecessary. ...although our buddy Harry does maintain that conventionally, soaked wood will cool the charcoal, and cause the burn to be cooler, which produces literally sweeter smoke. higher temps break the good stuff down, and the smoke can be too harsh.