Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RD disappointment

Options
PhilsGrill
PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I stopped in at Restaurant Depot here in Atlanta just to do a charcoal check for all. Well, they now have the 17.63 lbs of Royal Oak (USA) for $10.48. That equates to $11.88 for 20 lbs. Two months ago, I paid $8.40 for 20 lbs (30% increase). The manager just happen to walk by me and ask how everything was... so I told him my displeasure about the huge price increase.

On the bright side, here is the straight skinny on shopping at RD. In Georgia there are two RD's. Norcross and Atlanta.

Only the Atlanta store on Ellsworth Industrial Blvd, allows a one day pass ANYTIME for anyone everyday. The Norcross store does NOT allow any passes at all.

I did buy that neat little 'charcoal scooper' I saw posted by someone else.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    we pay a buck a pound in the northeast.

i'd be thrilled with your "huge" price increase

here, r/o is 20 bucks for 20 pounds. you have it good.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    While I agree with you that it sucks (I recall buying it at $5.99 for 20# bags there), I really don't think RD has anything to do with it.

The price increase and bag size decrease seem to be universal at all retailers. Even Wal-Mart has increased their prices on the smaller bags. The displeasure should be focused at the wholesale/manufacturer level.

Either way, RO at Restaurant Depot is still an amazing bargain compared to the other options.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    Hey stike, don't you have a Wally World where you can get it for less? That is outrageous. Wally World here in Fort Myers has 10#'s for $6.37.
    I called RO, I think the number is 678-461-3200, and asked them where I could by their lump around here and they were a big help.

Gator
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I agree. I used to pay $4.59 for an 8.8# bag and it's recently shot up to around $5.59.
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Bought 20lb bags for $8.69 on Sunday at RD in KC
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Any tricks to get an membership there or do they have a one day pass for general public?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Options
    How do you get membership?

I am not a restuarant. :lol:
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Y :whistle: ou gotta be kiddin.I pay $4.19 for 10 lbs.!!!
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Options
    I had to show them my federal tax ID number. Also had to fill out thier online application. Some locations vary. I suggest calling and asking if they have a one day pass.

If they do, take some coolers.

But honestly, some stuff like whole packer briskets were similar price to case prices at Sams.
  • ChrisC
    ChrisC Posts: 107
    Options
    I walked in last Saturday to the Norcross store and they gave me a one day pass - never even checked my ID...
  • On the whole, would you say their prices are worth the half hour trip? I have memberships to both Sams and Costco, and am curious if it warrants the effort, never having been to one.

Thanks!