Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

wood chips

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In a previous post, someone mentioned an online supplier of wood chips that they loved using. Anyone have recommendations?

Comments

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Trace,[p]I usually get mine at Barbeques Galore, where I bought my egg, and get most of my barbecuing/grilling supplies.
  • dan c
    dan c Posts: 31
    Trace,
    Try B$B charcoal...

[ul][li]the good stuff[/ul]
  • Nu-Guy
    Nu-Guy Posts: 136
    Trace,
    Send me your e-mail address and I send you back some great links for wood.[p]Nu-Guy

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Trace,[p]Try the folks below. They don't handle online payment yet, but online orders are followed up promptly. There's a nice selection of (small) chunks and a more limited selection of chips. I've been very pleased with what I've ordered from them.[p]Cathy
    [ul][li]Outdoor Home[/ul]
  • BluesnBBQ,[p]Barbecues Galore is a little pricey, but they do carry everything. It's very convenient to go there, but I'm always pissed when I walk into Home Depot and they have something I just bought at Barbecues Galore for 30% less.[p]Bill[p]by the way, BBQs Galore has $5 off coupons on their web site. Print 'em out and use 'em whenever you go in there.
    BF

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Nu-Guy,[p]The conversion of raw wood (whatever type wood) to lump charcoal removes 99% of the compounds (flavorings) of this wood as compared to if was used as a smoking wood. The 1% of compounds left tend to flavor the meal cooked over it. [p]These flavorings do influence the meal over cooking time. The longer the cook, the stronger the flavor. Oak lump provides the mellow charcoal flavor we all are familiar with. Mesquite lump tends towards the bitier side but burns hotter than Oak.[p]Almost everyone (of lump charcoal users) I know would rather start with oak lump and add flavorings as the cook requires.[p]Spin
  • Trace,[p]I just ordered some Tabasco wood chips. They are made from the oak barrells that Tabasco Sauce is aged in. When they arrive, I'll let you know how they taste.[p]Bill
  • Nu-Guy
    Spin,
    Shucks, I just ordered 3 bags of lump made from sugar maple. Man, someday I'm gonna shake this "Nu-Guy" thing.
    Thanks for the advice.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Nu-Guy,[p]Hey, you did OK. Spin sort of implied to use Oak lump as opposed to mesquite lump - but your OK with any hardwood lump. The Royal Oak stuff (they make it for BGE too) uses hardwoods which include maple. Like Spin said, the mesquite imparts a bitter taste more than the hardwood lumps do - much more IMHO. You did fine - ex-Nu-Guy.[p]Tim
  • Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Tim M,
    I think he needs to graduate away from the Nu-guy approach. The way he's been going and trying new things, maybe we should call him "Old-Pro"???[p]I don't think I've ever seen that! Have I??[p]Dr. Chicken

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Nu-Guy,[p]Tim is right, I didn't mean to imply oak is the best or only lump charcoal that should be used. I haven't tried sugar maple lump and would be anxious to try it as I cook with the chips for smoke and enjoy the mild taste.[p]I'd appreciate your opinion on them.[p]Thanks,
    Spin

• Nu-Guy
    Spin,
    Will let you know when they arrive and how it tastes. Hope they come soon as I about out of c-coal :(

• Nu-Guy
    Dr. Chicken,
    Geeeeee, I don't know that "Old" stuff??? Let me do some thinking about a new handle. I thought I'd give myself 90 days before I dropped the Nu-Guy thing. mmmmmmm

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Nu-Guy,
    I chuckled at that one! I do a lot of on-site training for companies. One thing I've noticed; There's a world of difference between an individual who has a year's worth of experience 15 times and an individual that has 15 yrs worth of experience![p]The way you're going, you'll have 2yrs of experience in 30 days! WAY TO GO![p]If I might make a suggestion, go to the visitors profile and fill out a profile on your self. That way we can put a real name and a location to the handle when we see it come up.[p]All of you new-comers are just beginning to see what's in store for ya! It is great and it keeps getting better! Welcome to the family and keep oooooon cookin'![p]
    Dr. Chicken