Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ribeye steak

Options
David
David Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
could someone comment on their favorite way to cook a 1" ribeye, temp and time. thanks

Comments

• Aron
    Aron Posts: 170
    Options
    David,[p]That's an easy one--the TRex method of course. He suggests it for sirloins, but I like Ribeyes better, and the method works just perfectly for them (and porterhouses too, I might add). It's a long article, but well worth the read.[p]--Aron
    [ul][li]TRex's steak method[/ul]
  • Joel Ferman
    Joel Ferman Posts: 243
    Options
    Aron,
    I disagree..... with a 1 inch steak, it is just to thin to try to TREX it, and the benefits are almost nill. Get some Red Pappy's rub, lightly sprinkle it on both sides, fire up the egg to 750, do a 2 min sear on both sides, then shut off both vents and dwell the meat till it's desired doneness.
    -Joel

• Aron
    Aron Posts: 170
    Options
    Joel Ferman,[p]It's still ok to use the method, just have to shorten the sear time (and of course the time at 400, and the TRex method works. I've never cooked with a dwell though (afraid of the flashback), so I'm sure that could work quite nicely as well. But the TRex method shouldn't be discounted for 1 inchers.
  • willmw
    willmw Posts: 41
    Options
    Yep...That's exactly what I do...if the ribeyes got any better, I don't think I could stand them :-)

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    David,
    i agree with doing the trex method, and as aron said, it will work on a 1"er if you pay attention. ..i know most stores around here cut ribeyes pretty thin (its hard to find 2"ers.. ..one way around that is to go ahead and buy a rib roast and cut the steaks yourself, that way you can get the exact thickness you want. . .[p]

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Aron,
    ...I might propose not even doing the dwell.
    # minutes a side and pull it (let it sit 5 or 1o minutes off the grill.)[p]i find that dwelling a rib-eye sometimes yields an off flavor in the smoke (if the fat has flared).[p]when i dwell the less fatty meats, i shut the top and bottom vents. but a ribeye a usually crack the top vent to let the sooty fatty smoke out. the smoke from the lump earlier in the cook has already done it's job, and i still get a slightly smokey piece of meat.[p]but again, on such a thin cut (hell, that's a sandwich steak!) i wouldn't bother dwelling for fear of over-cooking.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Unknown
    Options
    Aron,
    Agree with cooking methods but disagree with seasonings, depending on what part of the country you live in.[p]If you can get midwest corn fed beef, the only seasoning you will need is a tiny bit of salt and a bit more pepper. You will ruin the sweetness of the meat by putting on a rub, mustard, or anything else. Meat in the south and west will be tougher and drier, and may need the extra seasonings.[p]Here was always the steak advice from my father, a butcher of 35 years:
    - When buying steaks, try to get well-aged cuts - ask your butcher for the one that is going to go bad in the next day or two. Cook it the same day you buy it.
    - If you can't get aged cuts, leave it in the refrigerator until it just begins to brown, then cook it the same day.
    - Avoid buying any steak that is bright red in color. It is not aged and has no marbeling that is needed for tenderness.
    - Less expensive cuts (e.g. sirloin, flank) are fine, as long as you don't buy choice - get at least grade A or prime.
    - If you are choosing between a t-bone and porterhouse, always go for the porterhouse with the LARGEST filet on the one side of the bone - you are getting a filet mignon with your strip steak (other side of the bone).
    - If you have to buy t-bones, get the one with the largest possible filet.
    - Look for marbeling in the meat. Yes this is fat, but it's what makes the steak taste so good.
    - Never cook at steak over medium rare (his personal preference).
    - Avoid using frozen steaks if at all possible.[p]Final word of advice - find a reputable butcher (or marry into a family where one is already available).[p]What can I say? I was weaned on big, fat, juicy, well aged, rare, prime, porterhouse steaks.......

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Are you available, Amy? Having a butcher for a father-in-law could be both a blessing and a curse!!! :)[p]Best Regards,
    Jim

• Unknown
    Options
    JSlot,
    NO, She's NOT available!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    She's MINE, ALL MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![p]Though papa has passed on, Amy still knows how to find her way around a butcher shop (or cut of meat). And I have to tell you, I didn't even know what steak was until I met her. That is not an exaggeration.

Also, her caveats about "where you live" should not be underestimated or dismissed lightly. We're from Chicago (pure grain fed beef - birth to slaughter). After we got married we moved to Houston (where grain fed means range fed until the last month or two before being sent off to slaughter). The difference is immense in flavor and (more notably) tenderness. We now live in Kansas City (and argue all you want, there ain't NO better BBQ in the world than KC BBQ). I remember when we first moved here, Amy went to Walmart (yes, Wal-f-ing-mart) and came home with the most tender steaks we'd seen in 4 years.
    The flavor is also different. Range fed beef has a much stronger flavor, more "gamey" - which isn't a bad thing - than grain fed. But it's much tougher, which is why you see southern and western "recipes" for steak with marinades and all (primarily to tenderize), whereas in the Midwest, the "recipe" is "lop off the horns and tail, slide it across the grill and onto the plate and call it done."
    Anyway, in short, she's MINE, ALL MINE and you can't have her! (she's a German-Polish-Danish-French-English redhead, and I'm a Chicago Pollack - we'll never split up, we'll kill each other first!). But... if you're ever in KC and in the mood for a coupla beers and a good steak, look us up. (as long as you're not a Packer fan)[p]ChefAmy's hubby.
    [p]

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    ROFL!!! Great post, CA-H. Unfortunately, here in good ol' SC, 100% grain-fed beef is pretty much non-existent. We still get some decent stuff, but nothing like what you guys have available. And I'll take you up on your cold beverage offer when I get out to KC!! No Packers here!! J-E-T-S! Jets! Jets! Jets!!!!!!!!!!!![p]Best Regards,
    Jim