Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is BGE the best smoker you can buy?

Options
florida Nick
florida Nick Posts: 101
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi forum,
Considering purchasing my first egg. I started an earlier thread asking opinions on the XL vs the large. I have recieved alot of great advice, thanks to all who have responded so far.
So my next question is: Strictly used as a smoker, is the BGE the best smoker out there?
I know the BGE is extremely versatile and I'm sure I'll use it for more than just smoking, but used strictly as a smoker does it produce better results than the steel constructed charcoal smokers with a side fire box or any other type of smoker for that matter? Any info is appreciated. Thanks again for all the help so far.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I'm gonna go with yes on this one. It is a terrific smoker - better than anything I have ever used.

But you're question isn't exactly posed to an impartial jury either. We're a bit fanatical about our eggs.
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    I owned 4 metal smokers prior to buying an egg. The only thing that metal smokers have over the egg is the larger ones have more cooking area. But since you were considering getting a large I doubt this makes difference to you.
  • usc1321
    usc1321 Posts: 627
    Options
    Without a doubt! better than any other smoker I have every owned or used. ;)B)
  • MilitantSquatter
    Options
    Like everyone else,I'm a BGE fanatic(two mediums and an XL in May, but I've also owned a Spicewine insulated cabinet style cooker, Pitts & Spitts horizontal offset & WSM's.

I don't believe there is a best..just advantages and disadvantages to each. First, you need to determine your budget & capacity requirements. Next, you need to determine preferred cooking style and fuel sources. Do you enjoy/desire tending a fire and feeding logs on a regular basis ? Or do you prefer using charcoal as a primary fuel source and the ability for extended burns with less attention ? Then consider logistics - Do you plan to travel with it or stationary in your yard ? Will you store it outdoors or in a garage etc ?

BGE's will produce fantastic BBQ and I'm sure you will be happy with one as we all are.. but so will all of the other well designed and built alternatives if you learn to use them as they are designed.

As they say.."It's the cook, not the cooker".

BGE's are just more fun !!! :P
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Of course not.

Why would you ask such a question on this Forum?
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I too have side box smokers vertical smokers and now the Egg. I am impressed with the moisture retention with out the use of liquids and ease to maintain temps. There are even Gadgets available to keep the fire burning and temp stable on really low temps. If you know someone who has one, try to spend the afternoon with them as they smoke up something. Check with the dealers near you see if they have a demo, some do. Just last weekend I picked up some turf and they were smoking sausage for lunch. Try it and then ask yourself the same question. It would be a big expense to buy something that is not going to make you happy or do what you want it to do, but I don't think that will be the case. Eggs are capable of going 20 plus hours without reloading coal. My longest cook (smoke)was 18 hours at 225 degrees without any gadgets.
  • Rooster K
    Rooster K Posts: 416
    Options
    I have done long low and slow cooks on a single load of lump in temps well into the negative digits. No metal smoker will do that with out significantly lengthening the cook time.
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    My Dad had a W*B*R Smokey Mount**n it was alot of work and you had to keep it out of the wind in the winter and keep a water pan with water in it. I guess if you want to be a slave to the smoker you would want to purchase that one... you can get great results but it sometimes takes alot of effort. The egg doesn't care if it is raining, the wind is blowing, or if it is snowing for that matter. With that said my Dad has a Medium BGE, My Brother a Medium BGE, My Sister a large BGE, Me a large, small & mini BGE, My Sisters mother in law has 2 large BGEs, and my neighbor bought a large BGE after having food off of mine! I don't think you will regret it only in the fact that you didn't buy one sooner!

~Pharmeggist
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I've cooked plenty of times in sub zero weather with my stainless vertical smoker. If the weather changes much on the vertical I have to adjust the vents & propane flow.

Neverthless, any cook any time seems to be better on the egg than with using propane & water. Using the egg is also easier and infinitely more stable.

I have given away 9 different smokers, bbq's & gassers since getting my first egg.

GG
  • Cactus Doug
    Cactus Doug Posts: 341
    Options
    I love my egg (large) but recently have begun construction on a large stick burner, I would like to be able to cook for the whole shop at work 180+ people. An egg or two is not going to feed that crew! I do however understand the giant stick burner will require more fuel, more attention, more mopping of food etc... I do not think that i would rather have anything besides an egg at home. I originally bought the egg for low and slow, but now love the versatility and am constantly finding new things to cook. I wish you luck on your decision.
  • Craig
    Craig Posts: 72
    Options
    I used to have an electric smoker, and the BGE is superior to that. I'm slightly exagerating, but unless my electric smoker was placed in the sun on a hot day, it was difficult to keep it at a temperature that was hot enough because it was so poorly insulated. I've slow cooked on the BGE at 250 degrees in the middle of February with absolutely no problem.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    I don't think you could find a smoker that was "the best" because there are too many variables. But I can say without question that the Big Green Egg is the best for what it does, and that pretty much includes everything, including being fun, entertaining, educational, versatle and Eggciting, not to mention a great way to meet new friends. And all of that comes free with each Egg.

Spring "Have Egg Am Happy" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • ViennaJack
    ViennaJack Posts: 357
    Options
    For what I like to do they're certainly the best.

I really like that between the lifetime guarantee and the way they're built, I can't see any reason why I'll every need to replace them.

The food they produce is absolutely the best tasting smoked or grilled food I've ever eaten. My Eggs have totally ruined going out to eat for me.

Jack
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
  • Keving
    Keving Posts: 36
    Options
    I have used several different smokers, and it is hard to beat for your average backyard use. The only drawback in my mind is size. I like to cook a case of ribs or several butts during football season and on the river that you just can't do on an egg, but there is nothing better for a butt or a rack or two. I think it is great for efficiency on charcoal use, and it's temp control is a piece of cake. Food also tastes very good off of it, and there is no problems with food trying to dry out.