Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for NB's Salmon Recipe with Maple Syrup glaze

Options
Aron
Aron Posts: 170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
If Nature Boy or others who know what went into his delicious looking salmon from eggfest 2003, I'd appreciate a posting of it. I could have sworn it was on the archives, but I couldn't find it. Also, I'd like recommendations for time and temp for a 1 lb salmon filet (skin on one side). Thanks,[p]Aron

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Aron, can't find Nature Boy's recipe but would like to add it if you come across it. As for time an dtemps, I looked through and found these pairings: 400 and 10 min/side; 300 and 12 min/side;350-400 and 27 min (planked); 300 and 30 minutes; 375 and 12 min/side; 225 and 30-45 min[p]I did find this for NB's Miso Salmon. Was this what he fixed:
    Miso Salmon
    Posted by Nature Boy on June 22, 2001
    “Thanks to RhumAndJerk for the book, and thanks to the book for the idea! The book: "The
    Asian Grill" Barich & Ingalls. I did the recipe with some variations/substitutions. Not sure how
    much of it had to do with the super fresh Wild Alaskan King Salmon that I used, but this was
    extremely tasty. The miso added a wonderful contrast of flavors.”
    Ingredients:
    � 1/3 cup miso paste (this might be white, yellow or red)
    � 1 egg yolk
    � 4 TBS Sake
    � 3 TBS brown sugar
    � 3 TBS broth (Japanese broth (dashi) or chicken broth)
    � 1 TBS your favorite soy sauce
    � 1 tsp Sriracha Red Chili Sauce
    � 1 tsp onion powder
    � 1 LB Salmon filet
    Directions:
    � Heat the miso in a double boiler to soften.
    � Add the egg yolk, sake, brown sugar, broth, soy sauce, chili sauce, onion powder to the miso to
    make a paste.
    � Cut the filets into thick strips to allow more surface area for crusting.
    � Slather the filets with the paste, and let sit 30-60 minutes.
    � Grill 4-5 minutes a side at 500-550 (brushing additional paste on before and after flipping) until
    nicely crusted, and just flaking.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Aron,
    I think this is what your looking for.
    Larry

[ul][li]NB's Waldorf Salmon[/ul]
  • Aron
    Options
    YB,[p]Just what I was looking for--thanks.
    --Aron

• Aron
    Options
    Wise One,
    Thanks for the times and temps. I'm intrigued by this recipe too, so maybe another day (YB just posted the maple syrup one above, so I'll try it tonight). If you can find eggfest pics, I remember it looked fantastic.
    --Aron

• YB
    Options
    74273.htm
    <p />Aron,
    NB and his salmon.
    Larry

• YB
    Options
    Aron,
    Let's try this.
    Larry

[ul][li]NB and his salmon[/ul]
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Aron,
    I see someone posted a link, but for future reference, the "recipe" is on the Ragin' River Rub bottle, too.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Aron, I emailed NB as well, but let me know the measurements you used (lbs of salmon, tbs of rub, syrup and butter) so I can update my recipes. Thanks.

• Aron
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Thanks--I still need to get around to buying my dizzy pig products. I'm trying to make room on my spice shelf first and will probably not get a chance until I move in September. Then I can just trash the spices I don't use as much and replace them with the Dizzy products. I've been drooling over those pictures on the website with the piles of spices surrounding the bottles and hearing the stories.
    For today, I'm gonna just substitute some old bay for ragin' river and proceed with the maple and butter glaze that sounded so great.
    --Aron