Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini's 1st trip to park :=)

Pharmeggist
Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I took the family to the local park about a 15 minute drive and we cooked hot dogs on the mini there. It was a beautiful sunny day especially after having three days of rain. Rain was much needed though :side: I let the mini drop to a dome temp of 150 before putting it in the mini van.... Yes I did leave the windows and sunroof open in the car ;) on the return trip home.

Happy Egging, Pharmeggist

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    How long did it take for the temp to drop and from
    what temp?
    Thanks
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Pharmeggist
    I had the dogs cooking at approx 320 dome temp and closed it down as soon as they were ready... It took about a hour for it to cool down to 150. The egg retains heat so well ;) as you may already know :woohoo: I used royal oak lump and it was previously used in a prior cook on my small BGE. And it is so B) the mini still has lump in it remaining for another cook and another day maybe at the park :whistle:
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Sounds like a fun trip, great your taking the mini out with the family. Anyone ask you what that green thing is??? :laugh:

Glad you had a good time.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Good to know, thanks! I've promised some friends a Mini cook at the trailhead once the weather warms up, and was wondering about how long it would take to be transportable. Gotta love the Mini :)
  • Pharmeggist
    Thanks...
    THe best part of going to the park is that the Public Schools aren't on spring break yet until next week. We had the whole place to ourself except I did see a man off in the distance keep riding his bike around where our car was parked but thankfully he finally left. I guess the guy never saw a white Toyota mini van :laugh: :laugh: ;)

I am just finally glad I got to get the mini off my back deck for a little exploration :blush:

Best regards, Pharmeggist
  • Pharmeggist
    I guess if you where in a real hurry you could take some tongs and dig a hole and put the lump in it and cover it or better yet use less lump. I did't have the mini going for longer than 20 minutes in my best estimation. I know if I cooked chicken breasts or burgers the time to cool off would be significantly longer due to the cook time in theory. Maybe some other with eggsperience will chime in ;)
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    I'm sure you will be itching to get the mini out again. It's not much work and well worth it.

I know what you mean about some guy hanging around your car, now you have to keep an eye on him and it take away from what your doing. Glad it worked out.

Regards,
    Bordello