Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! Need brisket advice.

Options
Ed G.
Ed G. Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I’ve been doing briskets now for a while and have been unsuccessful in getting a moist brisket. The underside of the brisket seems to get burnt which leads to a dry and tuff brisket. I use the indirect method (ceramic place setter) and my dome temps are 250 degrees until the internal temp reaches 190 to 200. I really would appreciate any advice.[p]Thank you!

Comments

• Joel Ferman
    Joel Ferman Posts: 243
    Options
    Ed G.,
    Put some liquid in a drip pan below it to keep the humidity up (beer, h20, apple juice, etc) and occasionally open up the dome and spray the brisket with cranberry juice (or whatever your prefer). Also, try to lower the tempo.... when doing low and slow I like to stick around 220-225 degrees.
    Good Luck
    -Joel

• Joel Ferman
    Joel Ferman Posts: 243
    Options
    One last thing.... try to cut down on the salt in your rub.
  • MrCoffee
    MrCoffee Posts: 33
    Options
    Ed G.,
    I have only been cooking my briskets for about 3 hours open, then I put it on a big piece of foil, pile about 3 sliced sweet onions on top, wrap it all up and cook to about 190°F.[p]Even with almost no fat cap, they come out moist & tender every time. I try to keep the cooking temperature at 250°.[p]TerryF

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Joel Ferman,[p]I agree. I stick mine on a v rack over a drip pan that is half-filled with something...beer, water, juice, dog biscuits. Whatever. And the most important thing I've found is to wrap it in foil and then a big beach towel and put it someplace to hold temperature (I have a warming drawer but an ice chest is ok) for about 30-45 mins before you cut it. The difference is day and night.[p]mShark
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    Ed G.,
    I always do flats, and I always completely cover the top with thick slice bacon. Comes out great.

• usa doug
    usa doug Posts: 96
    Options
    Ed G.,
    I would use a "full packer cut brisket" at least 10lb. Trim it very little on the sides and top. Don't trim the bottom fat. Apply your rub and let stand in refrigerator a couple hours. Cook it at about 230 degrees, fat side down. when internal temp hits 160 degrees turn fat side up and finish off to 190+. Wrap in foil and let stand a couple hours with the fat side up, top down in juices created from cooking. Place in warm cooler or blanket for a couple hours. Then open foil and coat top and sides with favorite sauce. Let stand in lose foil for 20 min. then cross slice and serve.

• PCO3
    PCO3 Posts: 50
    Options
    Ed G.,
    3 Things. 1) Brisket needs to have a nice fat cap regardless of the size. I usually go to Sam's Club and they have cryovac flat cut briskets and they usually have a fat cap over the entire piece of meat. Fat = Moist Brisket 2) You need to wrap the brisket in foil and beach towels after the cook and let rest inside of a cooler. I usually double wrap in foil and beach towels and then let rest for 5 to 6 hours. You only need to do for an hour or so. The only reason mine rest that long is that I usually pack em up at 1am. 3) The burning thing confuses me so I would recommend using a V-rack with drip pan underneath. I also use a plate setter. I place my drip pan on the upside down plate setter and place the grill grate on the legs that are sticking into the air. It's nice because the grill grate at that point is even with the Egg opening. Hope that helps a little with the other advise given.