Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt on Small

DryFly
DryFly Posts: 351
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'd like to do a about a 6 1/2 lb butt this week on my Small. Is this doable? I was planning to fill the fire box with lump. Control of temp has been easy since I jacked up the lump grate about 1/4" with 3 Stainless bolts. Lots of air. Will a full box give me enough for an 10-11 hr. burn? Thanks guys!

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    it will be close, you can fill lump higher than the firebox to gain a little more time just dont pile it up against the shell sides. if it doesnt finish in the egg just wrap in foil and finish in the oven, it will be just as good.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    I agree with fishlessman but I have gotten close to 15 hours at 225 out of mine. A lot can depend on your lump, is it fast or slow burning. :unsure:

Go for it. :laugh:
    Bordello
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Also, pay attention to how you light the lump. Your objective is to get the lump ready to cook as soon as possible.

On higher temperature cooks, on my medium, I have found I can use 25% or more of the lump getting the egg to 400°. In lower temperature cooks the difference is a quick light, on the medium, can add 3 to 4 hours of burn time.

The tests I have done so far have been using oil/napkin and starting in 1 location as compared with lighting in 3 and 4 places. Lighting with MAPP does not make much difference in the lower temperature cooks.

Lighting with a weed burner seems to be much more efficient with lump consumption but it is easy to get too much lump burning for L&S cooks.

The stop time on the tests have been when the dome has dropped 20° and can temperature can not be recovered without stirring the lump, fanning or adding more lump.

GG
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Control of temp has been easy since I jacked up the lump grate about 1/4" with 3 Stainless bolts. Lots of air.

Please talk to this as to: do you get hotter temps? how do you get better control? etc....
    thanks
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Grandpas Grub
    The temperature in the egg is a factor of fuel + air and the efficiency of the burn process.

Controlling the temperature is a factor of the vent controls. Using the lower vent for course control and a more finer control with the DFMT.

I use the DFMT more in an attempt to keep more smoke around the food rather for a fine temperature control.

The egg is capable of holding a consistent temperature very well and in most cases holding a temperature better than a kitchen oven.

GG
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Some folks said they couldn't get higher temps and it was difficult to vary temps with the small (325 to 350 tops). At the suggestion of a forum member I used 3 - 3/8" by 1" ss bolts and spaced them evenly around the outer ring of holes. When I dropped it in it raised the grate about 1/4" above the bottom of the fire box. Air flow increased dramatically. Hit 600-650 quickly and was able to drop it down to 325 and hold with minimum adjustments. Hope this helps, Mickey.

Thanks for the advice guys. As always you are the best!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    so what will gooseing up the grate do for you?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Grandpas Grub
    "goosing up"

What do you mean? If I catch your thinking, dryfly has the answer below.

GG
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    I did a 6lb butt on a small last month and temps started dropping after 10 hours and I ended up finishing the last hour in the oven. I had burned through most of the lump. I have a tendency to let the temp overshoot at startup, burn at 600° for a few minutes and get too hot. I think Grandpas Grub is right, if I were to let it come up to temp a little slower I would conserve a lot of lump.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • Grandpas Grub
    ibanda,

My goal is to get to temperature fast, but not over shoot. It takes a lot of energy to get the egg up to 600° (stabilized).

I have been playing with the mini for my lunch cooks. I filled the lump up to the top of the firebox (took a cup or two of lump).

To light, I have been using 2oz 91% alcohol letting is rest to avoid a huge flame up. With that much alcohol in the mini I do get flame up into the open dome for a while.

It is taking 6 to 8 minutes to get to 350° - 400° and will remain stable there. I have been cooking short time items, like hot dogs (10 minutes), steak, brats, BuckBoard Bacon Burers - just food types like that. Cooks usually don't go much longer than 15 minutes then I put the ceramic cap on and close the bottom vent.

Out of that one batch of lump so far I have had 8 separate start ups, cooks and shut downs. I haven't stirred the lump, or cleaned in the entire test.

The lump at the beginning of todays cook was up just past the air vent holes in the fire box.

I am guessing I can get at least 2 to 4 more cooks out before having to reload or clean.

I expect using oil/paper towel will give close to the same results.

However, using 1 starting cube I could only get 4 cooks out of aproximately the same load of lump. It took longer to reach the same temperatures. I am 'guessing' it is because of the longer start up times and it is taking more energy out of the lump to get a stable heat at the 350° to 400° temperature range.

GG