Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp Control DISASTERs

Options
Seidegger
Seidegger Posts: 73
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all, just been running into an issue on my low temp long cooks...

I stablize the temp with the platesetter in the egg, but after I put the cold meat in the egg, it seems that it takes over 2 hours sometimes to get it close to where I stabilized at...I have been forced on a 5-6 hour smoke to open my vents all the way back up to get it close in any reasonable time frame...even after 2 hours, it seems my vents are not where they should be to hold the temps...any ideas?

I have it full of new lump, i vacumed out the ash so no clogging, and i had the bigger lump on the bottom...

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Hi :) that does not sound right... is your thermometer stuck in the meat? it sound like this is what I would check first. or are you really packing in the meat? is it filled to the edges? and no air circulating around it?
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Also, make sure you stabilize for at least 45 min to an hour to make sure all the ceramics are up to temp.

Did you add any other cold mass, like a drip pan or cold water?
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    If your egg is truly "stabalized" you should leave the vents alone..the cold meat you introduced is consuming all of the energy from the fire..hence the drop in temperature...don't quite understand why you would say "I have been forced on a 5-6 hour smoke to open my vents all the way back up to get it close in any reasonable time frame"...what is a 5 or 6 hour smoke???? if the egg is stabilized at the temp you "want" to cook at...the meat will be done "when" the meat is done...not by your watch...let your egg come to temp and adjust your vents so the dome temp doesn;t change for 15 or 20 minutes..put your meat on..and take it off when the internal temp is what you desire...we aint baking cakes here..no 2 cuts of meat cook exactly the same....just stabalize and trust the magic of the egg..
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    There are a lot of variables to deal with. However, the egg will hold temperature well without playing with the vents.

It isn't uncommon to chase temperatures, but that is a result of the cook and not usually the egg.

You should expect a temperature drop when you put anything into the egg. Whatever mass you put in the egg will determine how long the egg takes to get back to the stabilized temperature.

With more specific information we may be able to help you in a more specific manner.

. What size egg
    . How full is the lump
    . How many places are you lighting the lump
    . When do you put the furnature in the egg
    . What level do you have your meat in the egg
    . What is your stabilized temperature
    . After getting to that temperature how long do you wait before you feel it is stabilized
    . What is put inside the egg when you introduce the meat
    . How much meat is being cooked

GG
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    so true. the fire that is in the egg is the same fire that was there before, it's just driving into the cold meat. dome might say 220, but it's still a 250 fire
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante