Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buckboard Bacon First Run

Options
bitslammer
bitslammer Posts: 818
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Not quite a smashing success.

A little too salty and what I have is more like salt cured ham or salt pork.

I think I need a new scale. Was obviously heavy on the cure. Also probably could have gone longer than the 5 days. That might have drawn more moisture from the tenderloin.

Finally I went a little over on the temp. (160*F) Got to talking to the neighbors around the bonfire too long and didn't get back quick enough.

_DSC0125.JPG

Having said all that though it still tastes damn good on a cracker with some honey mustard and it was a nice night sitting out by the egg taking pics of the birds, the bee, an even a Blackhawk.

garden.jpg

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    What cure method did you use.

The High Mountain kits have a measurement not weight of the cure.

I use a 5 day cure on the tenderloin and a 24 hour rinse changing the water 3 times. I too smoked longer than I wanted to the internal temp was 155° when I pulled and then there was the

It came out really good and not too salty. With the tenderloin I found I could only cook it a few seconds or it became more dry. It sure was great though.

On your tenderloin being over salty, use it with other foods that need salt, hopefully things will even out when eating.

GG
  • bitslammer
    Options
    I used Morton's Teder Quick with some of my own spices thrown in.

Definitely didn't do a long enough rinse..~4hrs and only changed water twice. Got impatient and hungry.

I agree. While salty this is still really good and will be great in beans, kale, etc., where it will lend a lot of flavor with the salt.
  • i have not been able to find clear instructions for tender quick i have some but do not use it as i cannot figure how much for how long,,
    hi mountain and thirdeys site will walk you thru it... i have used it on belly meat pork steaks loins and tenderloins. and all with great results. and am now doing at least a batch a month for friends
    try the hi mountain... resonable priced too
    bill
  • bitslammer
    Options
    lower case bill wrote:
    i have not been able to find clear instructions for tender quick i have some but do not use it as i cannot figure how much for how long,,
    hi mountain and thirdeys site will walk you thru it... i have used it on belly meat pork steaks loins and tenderloins. and all with great results. and am now doing at least a batch a month for friends
    try the hi mountain... resonable priced too
    bill

Didn't really want to take the Hi Mountain path this run because I wanted to throw in my own "twists" I was doing one batch to have a little "terriyaki" twist and the other to be a very spicy black pepper coated version.

Given that I'm using soy and my other spice blends that have salt in them I'm just going to have to tweak my formula a bit after this first run.

I actually used some of the black pepper version in a white gravy this morning over English Muffins (too lazy to make biscuits) and it was superb.
  • Papa bear
    Papa bear Posts: 26
    Options
    Good afternoon Folks.

Well I just tried my first attempt a bacon this week. I did not use the High Mountain Cure yet.

A week ago the local QFC's had pork shoulders on sale for $0.99 a pound and they had mostly some small ones that were all about 3-4 popunds. I found one that was about 4 pounds and boneless for this experiment.

I used Mortons Smoke flavored Cure thaat was also available in the spice section of the grocery store.

The process was that I used 4 tablespoons of the cure rubbed on the pork shoulder and let it sit in the reefer for 7 days. Then took it out, rinsed it off, and then put it to soak for 2 hours. After the soak I let it sit covered in the refrigerator for 2 moree days, then smoked it with maple chunks until it reached an internal temp of 140. Brougt it in and let it cool then sliced it up that evening.

Talk about great on the BLT's we had that night. It was not at all as salty as I expected. It was about as salty as what you would find on store bought bacon. We really enjoyed it.

Took some out of the freezer to go with pancakes this morning. Now I am totaly hooked on this new bacon.

I think the next batch will be pepper bacon.

Thanks to all of the egers out there for all of the good information on this.

Mike :woohoo:
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    If you don't mind, keep us posted on your results with the Mortons products...Either here on the forum or e-mail me. I'm interested in meat weight, amount of cure, cure time, soak time, rest time and smoke time. My goal is to tighten up the recipes using Mortons.

My Mortons notes come from several sources are not consistant, I stopped using it once I got hooked on the Hi Mountain. I still use Tenderquick in my brines and cure injections.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Papa bear
    Papa bear Posts: 26
    Options
    Good day Thirdeye.

Here is what I can tell you on this one attempt.

The pork shoulder meat was about 3.7 to 3.8 pounds in weight with no bone. from the instructions or some where on thier site they mentioned using 1 Tablespoon of cure per pound of weight. They also reccomended for small batches that you use 1 and 1/2 TBSP to a 1/2 cup of curing salt. So I mixed up that little bit and based on weight rounded off to 4 TBSP of cure to use.

From the back of their package I got a cure time of 7 days. After that time I let it soak for 2 to 4 hours. The recipe called for 2 hours but I did not get to it in the 2 hour time frame. So that is a variable that I will need to watch next time. After that I dried it off real good then let it rest for 2 days.

On the morning of the 3rd day I set up the egg and after the temp had stabalized at 250 with all of the platesetter and grill in place, I then placed 5 or 6 good cunks of maple on the hot coals, put the plate setter back in place along with the grate and no drip pan till the internal temp of the pork shoulder was 140 degrees. I think that took about 3 hours though not sure as I was watcing the temp and not really paying attention to the time.

This came out really good and tasted as good as the high end bacons at the grocery store to us.

Mike :cheer: :cheer:
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Thanks for the info. If you want to try the Hi Mountain, just let me know. Each box has three sealed bags inside, each is good for 8 pounds of meat. I'd be glad to send you a small bag to check out.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I have been hearing a lot about buckboard bacon and chops. I have read the section on Third Eyes site and very interested in trying it out It looks delicious and I bet it would be "slap yo mama good" on a pizza.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Pappa Bear,

I too want to thank you for the information and would also like to be kept in the loop.

GG