Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - KitchenAid Pro 600 Mixer

Options
Bevo
Bevo Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I ordered a KitchenAid Pro 600 mixer from Amazon yesterday. The price was $291 net with no sales tax or delivery cost.

Does anyone (everyone?) have suggestions on what to do and what not to do when it arrives, or suggestions on how best to use it? It's primary use will be for bread and pizza dough, but I am open to all suggestions.

Thanks,

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    That's an excellent price! I love mine. I had two lesser powered KA versions, but this one has oodles of power and very smooth. Just unpack it and it's ready to go. I did get the meat grinder attachment with it. It works great for home use, but if you do a lot of grinding you'd be better off with a dedicated unit.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    If you don't read the instructions like me typically, be sure you don't use the dough hook at higher than the second speed. They say it will burn it up. -RP
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    I usually bake 8 lb of bread at one time [4 large, french "rustic" loaves]. Much too great a load for the KAid.

When I bake only two loaves at a time, I mix up the pre-ferment the night before. The day of the bake, I divide the preferment, then mix us 1 loaf at a time in the KA... it can handle one loaf at a time.

The KA is great for cakes and soft mixes... bread is a killer.

There are other mixers for bread... am using Viking because I inherited it. But, even with the Viking, I never mix more than 4 lb of dough at a time.

~ B
  • PWise
    PWise Posts: 1,173
    Options
    I know I'll be using it tomorrow to make brioche... If you'll let me! hehehe

cheers!
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    A forum member posted a few months back that KA has a new spiral dough hook for a limited number of models only.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap