Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT..... Refrigerators

Mike in Abita
Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm in the market for a new refrigerator. I've looked at the Kenmore, GE Profile, Bosch, and a few others. Wife has a few requirements. Must be bottom freezer and have an ice maker, with water and ice dispenser in the door.

Any recommendations would be most appreciated.

Comments

• stan
    stan Posts: 51
    Mike,
    LG makes the best bottom mount with ice and water in the door. GE got out of the service business and Bosch has issues with part availability. I'd get an LG ( have two) or a Samsung. Contact me via email if you'd like details.

Stan
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I can't make a positive recommendation, but I can say we have a Kitchen Aid and I despise it. Mine is a side-by-side counter-depth model and not a bottom freezer, but the problems I have aren't really style specific.

The ice maker constantly hangs up - cubes get caught in the discharge grill. Two cheap plastic parts have broken off of it. The crisper drawers are shoddy. The door has to be stung open all the way to 180* for the drawers to be pulled out.

I can say that it keeps stuff cold though, so that's a plus.

I love most of their stuff, but the KA Fridge has become my worst kitchen enemy.
  • AL
    AL Posts: 81
    PLEASE DON'T BUY A GE. MOST OF THE PARTS IN A GE COMES FROM CHINA AND THEY HAVE NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS BETWEEN THERE C/B AND HEATERS. I WOULD TELL YOU WHIRPOOL OR KITCHEN AID. IF YOU BUY A KENMORE MAKE SURE IT IS NOT MADE BY GE THEY CAN TELL YOU FROM THE FIRST 3 DIGITS OF THE MODEL NUMBER. AND MAYTAGE JUST ANNOUNCE A RECALL ON SOME OF THERES. WHICH IS NOW WHIRLPOOL OWNED COMPANY

I HAVE A APPLIANCE REPAIR BUSSINESS OVER 30 YEARS

AL
  • SGT BBQ
    SGT BBQ Posts: 190
    I have a stainless steel Kitchen Aid. It is a side by side with a bottom freezer. It has a water dispenser but not a ice dispenser. I have two kids that at 11 and 15. We have had no problems and really enjoy it.
  • Inksmyth
    Inksmyth Posts: 308
    We have a samsung. Like it except for the ice dispenser.
    You could grow old and die as the cubes come out o n e
    a t a t i m e! You also have to stir the ice occassionaly or no cubes come out at all. I just bought a small whirlpool for the rec room bar. The main focus was the ice maker. After looking at several different models and brands, I think there are only 2 styles of ice maker. One has a metal spiral type device to move ice. The other has a metal spiral with plastic paddles. Get the one with the paddles. Works much better.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Mike, four years ago we got the Kenmore Elite with the double (French)doors and bottom drawer freezer. It's made by LG. It has water only through the door and the ice maker dumps ice into a container in the freezer compartment. Real pain in the ice because I keep dropping the stuff.

But LG now makes a two drawer freezer and full ice/water despenser in the upper door. I would love to have one of those. $2,500 at Home Depot.

We also got the extended warranty ($97 a year) but we haven't had to use it yet. It does come with an in-house service call to check it out and clean the coils. That's worth something.

The only negative besides the icemaker is that fresh food and vegetables tends to freeze in one of the drawers.

Also, because of the large number of cubic feet it sticks out into the room more than we would like, but Judy likes the storage area.

When I get my Lottery money from the Texas Lottery Commission the refrigerator will be among the first to be replaced with the later model.

Spring "Ice Cold" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    I purchased a kitchenAid less than 3 years ago and it has been nothing but a headache. I needed a "counter-depth" unit (29") to fit into the scheme of things and it seemed the best choice at the time. I paid a steep premium for the size but a 'big box' store coupon helped a bit. I's a ss unit and looks great (probably its main selling point) but internally it's a disaster! Just after the unit went out out of warranty, the icemaker started eating itself up and spewing tiny bits of itself into the ice cubes. Then it failed completely and I had to spring for a replacement. To make matters worse, the interior plastic parts are by design, a disaster, and I've had to purchase a number of replacements and install them myself. If I had to buy a new unit I wouldn't know where to start as so many major brands share generic components. Is this where we're going with the likes of international trade agreements, NAFTA, etc.? If so, good luck when you spend your hard-earned bucks! Just when does the raped ostrich take its head out of the sand and stand up to fight? HELLO????
  • Bevo
    Bevo Posts: 179
    When you get your lottery winnings I hope I am among the first to enjoy a cold beer from your new refrigerator.

So sorry you weren't the winner of our $212 million Mega Millions jackpot last week.

It would have been my distinct pleasure to present you and Judy with the check.

See you at the Texas Eggfest.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    In so many words, KitchenAid is for SH-T!!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Sounds like you and I have the same fridge.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    I got a GE 2 years ago, side by side. POS!!!

I keep the freezer at 0° and the fridge at 38°. The freezer side seems to continually freeze up and then both the freezer and fridge won't hold the cold.

I am thinking/wondering if the defrost mode isn't working. After a manual shut down and manual defrost (doors open). The fridge will seem to work fine for a couple of weeks. Then I will hear a wind restriction which will turn into a small sort of 'whistle' in the upper part of the fridge. A week or so after that frost will build up on the back of the freezer and we are in the loose everything in the fridge/freezer mode.

Don't buy a GE, IMHO.

I really enjoy the indoor ice & water feature. Don't use the water much but love the ice feature.

GG
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    It looks like it's a toss up between the Samsung or the LG.

Thank you all for your experiences it has helped a lot.
  • kolbdriver
    kolbdriver Posts: 403
    Mike, Just replaced my refrigerator about 3months ago. Did all kinds of research before we bought. After lots and lots of looking and reseaching we decided on a SamSung. So we bought one. worse mistake I have in many years. Does not cool right false alarms about door open, high temp ect. in the middle of the night. Poor lighting in the fridge side. Maybe We got a lemon, but I am really dissatified .

Just my 2 cents ($1800.00) worth !!!