Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Samuel Adams beer poll/question

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,889
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
nobody accuses me of avant-garde when it comes to beer drinking as Bud Light is fine, but I do like to keep several brands on hand in my bar frig for guests. I see the Samuel Adams Blackberry Wit bier was voted their most popular in 2008, but that sounds a bit too yuppie for me. Any recommendation on which of their beers is a good one to have on hand?

PS - I don't mind spending the money and even have some designated single Scotch whiskey for friends who only visit every 2 or 3 years.
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    good old sam adams. blue label. lager.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Samual Adams White Ale, just picked up my annual case, I think its the best of their seasonal brews
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    I think you blew it when you mention lager in the same post as single malt.
    Stick to the (can't quite recall is it Boston ale or something - you know the pale ale / IPA.
    I think you'll find lagers are interchangeable! :laugh:
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Any without a fruit in the name, and any that has the word "ale" in it.
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    They sell samplers here, take a look for them. The Black Lager is good for folks who like dark. Honey Porter is my favorite. Their Cherry Wheat is good for one or two beers max. I personally don't think they make a bad beer so I'm a little jaded. Check the date codes on any 12 packs. Yeungling Light is probably the best light beer. Sierra Nevada is a very popular pale ale. At Sam's Club they had a Michelob sampler with some surprisingly good craft beers they started selling.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    sam's boston lager is decidedly NOT interchangeable with a generic lager. that thing is quite a beer.

pilsener lager is what most cheap american beersare made from. pale, thin, very little flavor, very little body. americans don't like real beer. prohibition turned americans away from more traditional beer, and the only thing they could stomach when beer was legal again was highly carbonated, lighter brew.

even a real pilsener has way more flavor than most mass-produced lagers.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    Options
    Wow - Beer is something I can wax poetic about... Many beer geeks will prefer a contrast from an american lager. I would lean towards pale ales, IPA's, or variations thereof. Not sure what's available in your neck of the woods, but my personal favorites are:

Bells Brewing: http://www.bellsbeer.com/
    Stone Brewing: http://www.stonebrew.com/
    Lagunitas: http://www.lagunitas.com/

Sam Adams is OK (its now the largest American owned brewery), but anything from these three above will impress even the most extreme beer geek. ;)
  • Lambchops
    Lambchops Posts: 166
    Options
    You can't go wrong with the Boston Lager but I do agree with stike that most Americans don't like good beer.
  • Smokin Tiger
    Options
    I agree with Haggis. Nothing with a fruit in the name! :ohmy: Any of the rest are good, but I prefer Guinness... :laugh: :laugh:
  • Vegas Slim
    Options
    i like most beer but sam is one of my favorites i also like to get a few cases of sams longshot when it comes out each year
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Options
    White Ale is my favorite.
  • Big D
    Big D Posts: 10
    Options
    Iam as American as you can get. (No I'm not a native but I was born and raised here and therefore that makes me an American) Samuel Adams make some wonderful beer even though Bud Light is my go to beer. I like Samuel Adams for the quality.

Don.
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    Options
    Does it have to be a Sam Adams product you're looking for? I'm w/ Roudy on the Stone Brewing, in particular Stone Pale Ale and Stone Ruination IPA. Both are on my list of favorites as well as beers from Victory, especially Prima Pils and Hopdevil. Anyone that enjoys good beer must try Duvel at least once. Simply one of the best beers in the world. If you like wheat beer, another Belgian you have to try is Hoegaarden. This short list ought to get you started.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I agree with stike and lambchops that the taste “most people” look for any more is a very light taste, which is also the brews that FLOOD the marketplace. I like a full bodied brew and it seems that none of the “Big” brewers can satisfy my taste. The main reason I have been a home-brewer since 1975.
    OTOH, thank God for people like Fritz Maytag and Jim Koch (just to mention two of many) to bring us real beer that we can buy.
    Seems some of you folk can get “Sam” in flavors that we can’t here…For example the White and the Boston Lager, unless that was supposed to be Boston Ale. That I can get here.
    Anyway as for the Sam Adams poll: My favorites run the spectrum and here are my top picks. Boston Ale, Pale, Honey Porter and Cream Stout. I tend to like the heavy darks more so, then the lighter.
    Also have to agree with Haggis. I don’t care for the fruit flavors.
  • if you buy sam in the blue label, it's lager. the red label is the ale.

doesn't matter, because those that like hoppier IPAs and ales always think the Sam's lager is an ale anyway.

lagers aren't lighter as a rule, only pilseners. and most american beer is a pilsener-based lager (bud for example). they just happen to be brewed with rice, which has one purpose; to allow the brewing to continue without adding ANY flavor. that's the sad truth.

the irony is when a guy looks askance at your sam adams, and proclaims that his bud is a 'real' beer, not one of them 'fancy' kind. and bud light is simply beer for people that like to pee. ;)
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    Options
    Fritz Maytag=Anchor. Good stuff, especially Anchor Steam on draught. If you have to try some "fruity" beer, search your local bottle shop for a French/Belgian Lambic. They have them in raspberry, cherry, peach, etc. If your tastes runs more towards German ales, then look for a Berliner Weissbier.
  • BostonEggSox
    Options
    If you can find Sam Triple Bock it is very tasty and provides quite the punch.

If you have an extra $150 and want to try something very special pick up the Sam Utopia. It is more like Cognac and intended for sipping on special occasions. It's very, very good and made in limited batches.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    REALLY GOOD stuff!!
    Their Anchor Porter is my favorit porter, next to my "August Meininger Brewing Co." Deep Woods Porter...but you cant get that anywhere execept HERE at my place. But you're welcome to stop by for a pt.
    BTW, I'm also into model railroading...
    AMBX1.jpg