Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked gasket

Sauced Up
Sauced Up Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I smoked the gasket.(Newbie)Watched a video from Fred's music store about the nomex gasket. Asked my local BGE dealer & he was not aware of the nomax upgrade. I bought the BGE (felt) & hope to replace this weekend. Any thoughts? Should I get the nomex & if so, where do I purchase?

Comments

• There are several hundred threads devoted to this issue on this site. They are hard to navigate, but hang in there.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Just can't help yourself, huh?

Drop it.
  • Sauced Up
    Sauced Up Posts: 23
    Sorry about my timing. I am sincere in my request. I did not have any intention in getting caught up in this.
    Didn't realize that the previuos discussion was taking place.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    I got my Nomex gasket from my local dealer. Since your dealer apparently is not Egg conversant I'd contact Atlanta and have them send you one.
  • No need to apologize. I can't speak from experience, but the people who have been there say to get the nomex gasket without any adhesive on it (you may have to call Atlanta), go to the hardware store and get a can of 3M Super 77, put Super 77 on both the gasket and the egg. Do a search on the forum here for more detailed info. At the top of the page where you have all the tabs, "Home" "Forums" "Cookbook" "Glossary" etc. click on forums and then click on search forums for tips on how to best use the search. Good luck.
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    Call HQ and request the Nomex they wont volunteer it but when you ask for it they will send it to you free of charge but wont help with the 3M super 77 spray glue. That will take care of the problem of the gasket falling off all new Egg's on the 2nd or 3rd cook. good luck you will be very happy with your purchase after you get thru this problem that they are very well aware of.
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    I tried, but at this point, you're making it difficult.

Sorry, Man.
  • Here is the Info From HQ.
    They do have Nomex gaskets available. You can order by calling 770.934.5300. Just take a day or two to come in
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    God! The inhumanity!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    This topic is getting very old with a lot of forum members and many think it shouldn't be discussed any further. Sadly that doesn't help the new folk with the problems.

It is sad for the new folk that have problems. If you search for gasket you are going to see a huge amount of posts, some pretty tough reading.

BGE askes any user contact them, Bruce or John or Bobby (Bobby-Q here on the forum). I am not sure if Bobby can help but he knows where to guide you.

Personally I would get the Nomex without adhesive and put that on the egg using 3M 77. The phone number to BGE has been posted above.

If you need further help, just post or if you get intimidated email me directly I will me more than happy to help with whatever I can.

GG
  • Bluecrab3
    Bluecrab3 Posts: 328
    SaucedUp,

I'm with Grandpa on this one, please let me know if I can help. I just replaced mine with Nomex and I can walk you through it. Enjoy the egg.