Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Checking Steak for Rare - Med - Well - with thermometer?

Kyle
Kyle Posts: 156
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am struggling a little with the thought of how to check the doneness of steaks without cutting them and looking.[p]Is it feasible to use a thermometer of one sort or another? Some have discouraged me (due to excess temps needed) from using a polder for that purpose. [p]I truly appreciate the help this forum provides.[p]Kyle

Comments

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Kyle,
    Many people can tell by the feel of the meat what donenes it is. Some of us others that are more challenged in that area use a thermapen. [p]~nikki[p]

[ul][li]Thermapan[/ul]
  • Kyle
    Kyle Posts: 156
    nikkig,[p]You have just convinced me to move the Thermopen from my "want" list to my "need" list. One day it will hit my "have to have" list.[p]I appreciate your help.[p]Kyle

• Kyle,[p]For steaks, most people will sear them at a very high temp for just 1.5 or 2 minutes per side, then take them off for a 15-20 minute rest and let the egg cool down to 400 or so, then put them back on until the desired "doneness". You can stick it with just a regular meat thermometer for the temp then when the egg is at a cooler temp. The polder is great for low & slow, but for a steak its not a big deal to open the lid to stick them for an instant read...they're only going to be in there for a few minutes anyway.[p]I think its an experience thing really, and don't see a problem with cutting into them until you feel comfortable. I know from using the T-Rex method that I sear for 2 minutes, rest for 20 while Egg drops to 400, then go back on for about a few minutes per side and its a nice medium rare that I'm looking for. If thicker than average, I'd go a little longer. Go ahead and cut them the first couple of times and you'll get a feel for it.
  • AndyR
    AndyR Posts: 130
    Kyle,
    Forget the thermometer for thin cuts like steaks. I can't remember where I learned it but here's a perfect way to judge doneness by touch.[p]First hold out your left hand and let your fingers dangle loosley. With the index finger of your right hand, feel the fleshy part of your left hand between the index finger and your thumb. That's the feel of a rare steak.[p]Now hold your left hand's fingers straight out. Again feel with the right index finger. That's the feel of medium.[p]Now make a fist with your left hand and touch the fleshy part. That's well done.[p]Once you get the hang of it, you'll be thankful you learned this. Enjoy.[p]