Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Naked spatch??

Hitch
Hitch Posts: 402
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Don't get me wrong...I personally do not want to change a thing about the way I currently do my Spatchcock chicken. However, I have a wife that loves the rubs and flavors of the chicken, but wants to forgo the skin. Is there any here that take the skin completely off and have similar results? I think it would act as a protective barrier of sorts, but I have not tried to do the "naked" spatchcock. I usually cook 2 birds at a time on the LGE, and it would be nice to do one for me and the boys and one for her. Would also make it easier than just making sure to get a bunch of rub under the skin as well. Thoughts or experiences?

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Just guessing that the naked one should be pulled soon er as it might get dry if left with the fully clothed one. I do mine direct, high in large dome an hour or so.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    tandoori yogurt type paste would work
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    For very lean meats, such as skinless chicken, I brush with a light coat of oil, usually something pretty neutral like safflower, and the apply rub. The oil keeps in some moisture, adn makes a pretty good base for the rub.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Just an idea, never tried this on skinless chicken but it might work. Rinse and pat dry chicken then dust with a 50/50 mix of flour and cornstarch. Throw on the grill, indirect set-up, dome around 375-400 degrees. Roast for about 15 minutes to 'set' the coating then baste chicken with melted butter. Shake on your favorite chicken seasoning. The seasoning will stick to the butter basting. Roast, flip if you can, and baste again until chicken is done.
    In this pic the skin is on but I can imagine that a light coating created by the flour and cornstarch with butter could add a nice skin of it's own to naked spatch. Just an idea.
    IMG_0216.jpg
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Those are beautiful Clay! But I suspect she doesn't want the skin to avoid the fat, do you think olive oil would work instead of butter? -RP
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Thanks Randy. Sure. Extra light olive oil, peanut oil, canola oil would work. I've used Pam Grilling cooking spray with fair results also.
    Butter has the flavor. Your right, gotta watch how much fat we eat.
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    We don’t eat the skin either. I prefer cooking chicken with skin and bones; it just seems to stay moister. Work your fingers between the skin and meat to loosen, then get the rub on the meat. Remove the skin after the cook.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    put the rub under the skin. Do the birds in halves starting at the breast section, thick meat end. Slip a knife or your finger under the skin to open, then use your finger or two to work down the breast and into the tigh and leg. Ya, you can get into the leg. Tilt up bird vertically, dump in the rub and use a finger or two to spread. Do the other bird side, same method.

Couple points to follow:
    1. use grade A birds as the skin is complete, better chance that the skin won't tear;
    2. check the salt content on the rub so you know how much extra salt to add;
    3. measure your rub for each side of breast to get consistancy.
    4. When done adding rub, then trim the excess fat at breast end;
    5. don't be afraid to try different rubs on the two breast sides.

Did I mention, Grade A birds only because the skin is complete with less chance of tearing......LOL. Cook as usual.

This way you have the skin to maintain moisture and such. Your wife can deskin on the plate.

T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • bitslammer
    bitslammer Posts: 818
    I frequently use this method because although I like to eat the crispy skin I also want flavor to go into the meat so I always put something under the skin like rub, compound butter, sliced garlic, hot sauce, etc.
  • Hitch
    Hitch Posts: 402
    Great ideas, and I will try the EVOO instead of butter suggestion with the Flour and Cornstarch combo. That looks AWESOME.

Another reason to try it without the skin is the crisping up effect that happens to the top of the meat. If cooking with skin on only to then discard the skin, you throw out the seared/ crispy part that had direct (though indirectly) heat. Does this make sense?
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I've used Pam before when the flour was looking a little dry, works great. -RP
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    My wife is the same way. I peel the skin back and season it then pull the skin back over it for the cook. I think the skin acts as a good moisture barrier during cooking and add a little fat basting during cooking. I also cook my chicken a few minutes direct at the end of the cook to crisp the skin (for me).
  • MopCop
    MopCop Posts: 21
    We do not eat the skin either, instead we marinate Naked Chicken (Skin & Fat removed) in Italian Salad Dressing and Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning overnight.

Add TC Creole Seasoning to taste when placing on egg. Cook indirect on tjv AR at 350-400 to temperature (165 breast 185 thigh).

Naked Chicken is always very moist and has excellent favor!