Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Eggers with travel trailers / campers

WileECoyote
WileECoyote Posts: 516
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The wife and I are looking to buy a new or slightly used travel trailer. Something about 25'-30' long with a queen bed and big living area. No bunks since it will just be the 2 of us plus the dog. We have done quite a bit of research and we like the Palomino Puma models 25RS, 26RLSS, and 27DSQ the most so far. We are leaning towards the 25RS since it is cheaper, about $13K new or $11K slightly used but like new.

So we are looking for advice from any eggers that have campers. We plan to get a small or mini for the travel trailer but first we need the trailer! And if you already have a trailer, do you find it practical to take your egg along? Is it easy to cook without hauling hundreds of lbs. in extra accessories, and with a very lightly stocked kitchen?

FYI, here are some links to the models we really like:

Puma 25RS:
474089_1_tn.gif

Puma 26RLSS:
26-RLSSplan.jpg

Puma 27DSQ:
27dsq.jpg

Comments

• Nice thing about Travel Travels is they have space to store things. Just get an extra set of eggcessories and leave them in the trailer. Then you just need to load the egg up..

I'd be more worried about the tow vehicle. Make sure your truck can handle the weight of the trailer you want to buy. Tow weight and tongue weight are two different animals. You hitch needs to be able to handle the tongue weight, but your truck's Engine, Transmission and cooling system needs to be able to handle the tow weight. Don't assume your truck is equipped to handle it just because it has a Class 3 or 4 hitch.

As an example: My Tacoma is designed to handle a two weight of 6500 pounds, but the standard Tacoma can only handle 3000 pounds tow weight. Both have Class 4 hitches.

Electric brakes for a trailer that size is important too. Which means your hitches electricial systems needs to be tied into your trucks brakes. Load leveling and anti-sway are important too.
  • Great info CW, thanks!

Our tow vehicle can handle 10,800 lbs. and up to 1,650 lbs. on the back end. It has the full tow package including transmission cooler. We have a Reeese Strait-line dual cam WD anti-sway hitch which is supposed to be one of the best. The hitch and shank can take up to 1,200 lbs. tongue weight. We also have a Tekonsha P3 brake controller and 4 blind spot cameras so it seems we just need the trailer and an egg and we are all set.

Incidentally, any comments on small vs. mini for traveling?
  • Either or both..

I don't have a mini (yet), so I just take my small traveling, unless I know I will need one of my large eggs.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Hands down get a small. More versatile for your traveling cooking needs. For that matter if you could swing it moving it in and out I'd look into a medium as well.

H
  • Bob,

CW has a lot of good tips, it sounds like you have it covered.

Those pop out models are look pretty nice.

$2,000 savings on a used vs new would depend on the condition and the improvements in the newer models.

Over the years I have had two 23 footers. Configured much the way the 25RS is. Due to the shorter length we only had one door on the opposite side of the bedroom.

Those years it was my wife and I plus 5 kids. The 23' was perfect for us.

We really enjoyed our large bay windows every where but especially in the sitting, kitchen area.

Some accessories we got on the second trailer was:

. Stabilizing jacks attached on the underside of the trailer.

. Powered front trailer jack, great accessory.
    . Picked up a Solar Power battery charger - a lot of no power camping spots out this way.
    . Inverter - for the girls hair dryer (your truck might have an inverter).

Most of the time we also took along a 1000 watt Honda super quiet generator.

Never had eggs back then. I have both a mini and small. I would probably take the mini it can handle more than enough food for Shelagh and I. I don't expect we would do much entertaining when out and about.

If I were going to get another trailer, I would seriously look at a fifth wheel model.

Anyway for the two of you I think you will find the 25RS plenty big.

I can't believe how inexpensive that model is. If I was guessing I would think at least 18k to maybe even 20k - that is if it had central a/c & heat and good quality appliances.

Good Luck and let us know what you decide (pictures).

Kent
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    LOL THAT is a CASTLE not a camper! I think it is wider than ours are long!
    Picture740Small.jpg
    We just bought this one, the previous owners totally stripped and gutted it inside and it is like a brand new camper. from the frame up wiring, pipes everything. all new birch wood inside. very pretty. we just need to fix the skin on it and will polish it and not paint it.
    Picture213Small-1.jpg
    this is an 1957 Shasta, back bed and front dinette with side kitchen. 10 feet long :)you can see a patch by the door that we started polishing. they are so pretty when they shine :)
    Picture235Small.jpg
    We just sold 1960 Shasta,10 foot also, as we found an older one and hubby said I can't have three! We totally redid it and stripped and painted the out side.(egg green) :angry:
    but as you can see by the one picture we have a small and a mini to take with us. they travel great and you can fix a bunch of food with those two eggs! and get a lot of attention! everyone walking by sniffs ad looks then does a double take and "hey what are those?" we really need to be able to hide them when we are ready to eat. or you are talking egg all night!
  • Mainegg
    Also note the two wheel drive Ranger pickup that hauled the green and cream one from Maine to NY camping this spring. Our son Michael and his x-girlfriend used it at the family reunion. 'course we don't have any tubs in our campers, :S let alone a toilet :blink:
  • Mainegg
    LOL forgot to add that they are around 1100 - 1300 pounds with about 130 pounds on the hitch :whistle:
  • My wife and I do a lot of camping and I bring my small along when we are camping more then 2 nights at a time. I use a Smoky Joe if I don't bring my small. It don't pay to bring the egg for just two nights in my opinion. I small is only like 65 lbs. Because I am so old I don't want to carry anything larger. If it's just you and the wife most of the time the small will be fine.

When we go camping we go to relax and enjoy the outdoors, not to spend all our time setting up. Our Fleetwood opens up to 27/5 feet and has 3 King Size beds, 3 Burner Stove, Oven, Microwave, Frig, Full Shower & Toilet. For your hitch setup I would suggest putting on a sway bar, it does help when the big rigs go flying pass you. Here are some pictures of Fort DeSoto County Park we just got back from and other pictures.

100_1238.jpg
    Fort DeSoto our site on the beach.
    100_1239.jpg

100_1256.jpg

100_1105.jpg

100_1129.jpg

100_1108.jpg
    Jetty Park with our small egg and the FlaPoolman
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Here is the model hybrid camper we have:

http://www.aero-rv.com/trailers.php?tab=floorplans

it is the Cub expandable 214

We love it...it is light weight but will accomodate 6 adults easily...

we bought a small BGE for camping and we take it almost everytime we go. I just put the small in the back seat. I have approval from the Mrs. to buy a mini alos but have not pulled the trigger yet...
  • If the truck can handle the extra weight, get the model with a slide out. I've started with a tent and moved up through pop-ups, tag alongs and now have a 5th wheel. The slide out gives alot of extra room on days when the weather may be inclimate and keeps from getting cabin fever. Also nice when guest come along. Don't spend much time inside except to sleep so it all depends on your needs.Working on getting a BGE sm. but right now just use a small portable charcoal grill. Vac. sealed Egg cooked food cooked at home and warmed on the grill works also.
  • jbrodie
    jbrodie Posts: 111
    If you can, get a rig with a slide out. The extra room is amazing. If you don't, you may regret it down the road. RV.net is the largest RV website going, you may want to do some research there.
  • Good advice and comments from everyone.

I love those small trailers, very cute and easy to tow. I find them quite uncomfortable for all but a single night sleepover, however, so we are looking for some room to actually store stuff and live in relative comfort. The 25RS is fine for me but the wife likes the slide out models. Trouble is they cost a lot more and are much heavier to tow. The budget and truck can handle it either way but I still like the slightly smaller option myself.

We will probably go with a small egg as soon as we find a good deal on a used one. I won't use it enough to justify spending full price or worry about the warranty. Just something to cart along on the camping trips and enjoy in lieu of those nasty park grills which have more rust and dirt in them than you have food.

I have been to the RV.net forum and learned a lot there but there are quite a few rude members and inappropriate posts over there so I try not to post that much. This BGE forum has a tough crowd and gets a little testy at times but it is a church compared to what happens on the RV forum. Plus most RVers would never understand the egg thing so I had to ask here.
  • i have a 31 ft tow behind and pull it with a ford 250 but more importantly i have a small egg that goes everytime the camper goes. i'm not good at posting pictures but can email you plenty if you want. i had a custom rack made and welded to the back of the camper. iknow, i know that you are not suppose to weld BUT i did it right and extended from the main i beams.

you need at least a small because when you camp w a BGE, you'll soon have neighbors. we cook almost all meals including breakfast on the egg. if you have a small, it is easy to do a low and slow while you go to the beach (or whatever) for the day.

i carry a five gallon bucket of lump with me. plenty of fuel. i carry another five gallon bucket with all my accessories such as cool lawn ranger stuff, firestarter, lighter, grid lifter.....

jorge
  • lecather
    lecather Posts: 29
    can you e-mail me the pics of how you welded a way to transport an Egg on a motor home? thanks! lecather@hotmail.com
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    The Mini would be to small for your needs. Get a small would be my vote. It is only 65lbs and has a ton of extras should you need them. (more than the Med). Enjoy! :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    thats my kinda trailer, bet i could pull that with the atv out to the ice fishing shacks and be pretty comfy. i always liked those little airstream bullets,seems the old ones ive looked at still get high prices
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it