Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tel-Tru Thermometers

Options
Morro Bay Rich
Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
At the suggestion of “Ross of Ventura” I contacted BBQ Bonanza and bought three Tel-Tru thermometers, one for my large, one for my small and one for my Mini. As soon as they arrived I installed the ones in the large and the small, storing the one for the Mini for about two months. Today I went to install the one for the Mini and found to my consternation I had ordered the incorrect stem diameter. It was the correct length (2.5 in) but the diameter was too large to go through the dome hole in the Mini. I called Jeniffer at BBQ Bonanza and she immediately said, “Just send it back and we will see that you get the one you need”. Now mind you, it was my mistake.

If you are looking for a Tel-Tru thermometer, or three, I would suggest looking up BBQ Bonanza at http://www.kck.com/old_smokey/bbq_temperature_gauge_barbecue_grill_smoker_thermometer.html

And, THANK you Ross for turning me on to these people.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with BBQ Bonanza. just a very satisfied customer.

Comments

• BUILDER
    BUILDER Posts: 45
    Options
    In the world we live in today.....It's great to hear that customer service is alive and well. At least with some vendors anyway.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Just wondering why you wanted to replace the stock thermometer.
  • Lab Rat
    Lab Rat Posts: 147
    Options
    I'll have to check BBQ Bonanza out.

I went to the Tel-Tru website and got the part number I thought I wanted. Gave the number to my sister (her request) and she got them for me for Christmas.

Got them and found I screwed up and told her the wrong number. The diameter was too big to fit in the egg.

Here's the kicker: I tried to make an even exchange for the correct ones, but they required I send back the original set first and, if they were unused and undamaged, they would issue me a credit MINUS a 15% restocking fee!

We got the credit but I have yet to order the replacement thermometers cause I'm still kind of ticked.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    The Tel-Trus are quality products and are an upgrade for the same price you'll pay for a BGE one.

As for BBQ Bonanza it appears their price is slightly more than dealing directly with Tel-Tru which is:
    http://www.teltru.com/barbecue.asp

I personally have nothing to gain but with three Tel-Tru thermometers for 5 years I've only had to adjust one a couple degrees after routine calibration checks.

Go Tel-Tru and trust them.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.