Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Making jerky in the Egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Optimusprimer2.jpg
<p />Is it possible to make jerky using the Egg and not other devices, such as dehydrators, etc.? I would love to be able to do this. If it IS possible, timing, temperature, and marinating/recipe tips would be GREATLY appreciated.[p]Thanks!

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Christo,
    Jerky? Heck yes! Someone will post some recipe pointers, but I used a marinade I bought at BBQs Galore. I had some London Broil that was 2 for 1, so I sliced it up, marinaded it and then spread it on grids over an indirect setup. I kept the egg around 180-200 and just turned it every once and a while until it was jerky. It takes a while and I found that some gets done before the rest, so I can't tell you a time. Several hours at least.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Christo, jerky is far easier than coming up with a Transformer photograph.

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Christo,
    Here is one of the best jerky recipes that I have made on the BGE. It is full of Forum Flare.[p]BTW, how much did you get for Optimums Prime on Ebay?[p]Hope this Helps,
    RhumAndJerk

[ul][li]Nature Boy’s Variation on GFW’s River City Jerky[/ul]
  • dan c
    dan c Posts: 31
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    I'm glad this came up as I'm going to try it tonight, but what is the "pile" method??

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    hangingjerky.jpg
    <p />Christo,[p]This is my setup. It normally takes 4-6 hours depending on how much jerky I am doing. 180-220 is naormal temp.[p]Randy's site is a good one.[p]Have fun.[p]Mick

[ul][li]Randy's site[/ul]
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    dan c,
    The pile method is a simple approach to making jerky. You use hole-y type grill wok and just dump the meat in it in a pile. Every half hour, you stir the meat. After about 5 – 7 hours, the jerky is done. It is just an easy alternative to hanging the individual pieces of meat.[p]Hope this Helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    The last time I made jerky I used a TenderQuick based cure. I think I cured it overnight. I smoked it indirect for a couple of hours, then took it inside, and kept it in my oven on Warm for maybe 6-8 hours. I figured it only needs to smoke for an hour or two for flavor, and it's going to turn out drier in my oven than in the Egg. This is a pretty simple way of doing it.
  • dan c
    dan c Posts: 31
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Ohhh, I gotcha! Thank you!