Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Surf and Turf on 'roids

BostonEggSox
BostonEggSox Posts: 116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This past weekend I picked up a "hard to find" Tri-tip (2.25lbs)right here in Townsend MA. Then decided to get 4 lobsters to seal the deal.

The tri-tip came out wonderful. Marinated for 8 hours in Kikoman Soy, EVOO, minced garlic, water and DP Cow Lick. T-Rexed and pulled at 128 degrees. Very, very good.

The Lobster was OK...I did a variation of the Dr.BBQ method in the NFL Gameday Cookbook with Chili Lime Butter and Tsunami Spin. I must admit that I prefer and old-fashioned New England boiled and melted butter method.

The 'sparagus was admittedly boiled.....I prefer Egg'd 'sparagus with near any rub and EVOO.

100_1843.jpg

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Mmmm, looks fantastic! I agree, grill the asparagus.
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Lobstah! (I'm learning to speak "Maine") Why is it so hard to find tri-tip in the Northeast? Great looking cook!

Slick
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    That meal looks fantastic! It's cooked to perfection. I've never had tri tip but have seen many posts. I definitely will have to give this one a try.
    Great job Mike!!
  • I would have never thought of grill'n tri-tip until I met the forum. I grab one whenever I see it now.
  • From what I've read, it's wicked populah in Cali. Every once in a great while the local Hannaford has one (and only one) and I make a point to scoop it.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    LOL!!! I appreciate the cook, but more so appreciate "I prefer New England boiled and melted butter"! I have to laugh! I grew up in Hingham, MA, and the first (and last) time Tim wanted to 'smoke' my lobsters, I said "What?!!?". Anyways...we par boiled them, and he finished them on the egg with some light smoke. They were just fine....but...."I prefer New England boiled lobster and melted butter"!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :laugh:
    Nice cook! But some times we Yanks (and I do NOT mean the pin striped ones!!) must stick to our roots! :woohoo:
    Keep on cooking from a 'wicked big Sox fan!'
    Michelle
    Hollywood, FL
  • The simple concept of boiled lobstah with buttah is the only way to go. It's been proven over many, many years. There is nothing better than a few beers, a plastic tray and red checkered box in the summer at Wellfleet, Old Orchard Beach, or Hampton Beach. Oh yeah, don't forget the plastic bib :)
  • Cactus Doug
    Cactus Doug Posts: 341
    Mike you are dead on, tri tip is common here. I am not sure why you don't see it more there. Regional cut maybe or possibly because there is only one per side of beef. Funny thing I have the most difficult time finding hangar steak here, but when I visit my brother in NY. you can find it at most markets. I have been meaning to get back to you on metal fab topics... have been busy.
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Goodlookin meal. Love some grilled asparagus. doin it tomorrow night bundled and tied with bacon.
  • i have never seen a new englander wear a bib! heck, i have rarely ever seen a new englander buy a lobster in a restaurant either. you may just need a refresher course in yankee frugality. hahha we won't take away any 'yankee' membership card, cuz we don't issue them (we know who we are).

in my family, we cook lobsters at home, and couldn't imagine paying the premium at a shack. bad enough that fried clams cost what they do... let alone lobster.

(you do know that those bibs are an in-joke, and basically mean the person is a tourist who doesn't know how to eat lobster without getting it all over, right. but ssssshhhhh don't tell anyone)

stike, just being a noodge.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,739
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/fishlessman/974e229d.jpg
    boiled steamed or stewed is the only way to go. its just not right egged. ive got the plastic trays with the directions up at camp, no bibs though :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Too funny! My bib comment was meant as a joke, and did deserve a noodge.

It is funny seeing older tourists wear these. However, I seem to recall my wife forcing the kids to wear them when they were young un's. I'll have to search for vacation pictures of them covered in lobster gush.

You are right, they are waaayy to pricey at shacks. I do indulge though when on vacay every now and then. Or, at our company outing there's no escaping the red critters. For some reason there's always plenty of bibs and handi wipes available.

One of these days, when you and Sundown meet for dogs at the cart in Wakefield send me an email. Before I moved to the North border I lived in Saugus for 25 years. I'd like to meet you guys and then visit mom and dad after.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    if we are going to meet at fred's franks, it's an open invite to area forum members. we got in trouble a while back when someone got upset thinking we were planning private parties on the forum. so, FWIW, whenever we mention fred's, it's "come one, come all". we just like to gather a few names here so that we can confirm critical mass. nothing worse than showing up and no one is there.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    I'd probably have to take a vaca day or a 1/2 day, but will hopefully get to meet some folks at Frank's one day...

The only way to go is boiled lobstah with buttah...only tourists who don't know how to use a crakah properly wear bibs...