Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT home made pastrami and corned beef

Options
Pharmeggist
Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I found this link and thought I would share...

http://cruftbox.com/blog/archives/001462.html

If anyone gas done this before please weigh in and post your comments and or suggestions.

I am seriously thinking about following the recipe for pastrami except using my egg for the smoke :evil:

Any thoughts??

Comments

• Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Pharm guy,
    Third Eye had a recent post on both which looked superb. Of course, he learned it many years ago :woohoo:
  • Pharmeggist
    Options
    I wonder how I missed that post....

I am going to try and search it now.

Thanks for the heads up ;)
  • Pharmeggist
    Options
    I did a search and found there recipes :whistle: PURE GENIUS right :P THanks Desert Oasis Woman for giving me the right idea :silly:
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Pharm guy, you can just send me a bite! B)
  • My recipe and method for corned and pastramied beef can be found thru the search on this site. I think I have put information on this cook up on the forum since about 1999 so I am sure it's there.

78MVC-025E.jpg

78BMVC-027.jpg

You can also find this recipe and method on my cooking site.

http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/search/label/Corned and Pastramied Beef

Dipstick
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Pharm- This is a great resource! Nothing wrong with the recipe and techniques at all, except I will add, the salt peter can also be called TSP....Tri Sodium Phosphate, also known as 'Pink Salts'. Difficult to find as a 'john doe' consumer. If you want to try Pastrami, you may be better off bying a pre-cured brisket, then encrusting it with your choice of peppers and herbs before smoking. You MUST soak the cured brisket (a good 48 hours with regular water changes) before smoking, or it will be disgustingly salty! Remember, corned beef- pre cured- is intended to be simmered for traditional St Patties Day Irish Meal.
    If you are going to start from a raw brisket, this recipe appears very good! Just make sure you can get the TSP (pink salts) ahead of time! :)
    Just my opinion! Good luck! Let us know the results!
    Michelle
    Hollywood, FL
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I have tried several different methods of making pastrami and thirdeye's method is my favorite.

Easy cook and fantastic results.

I really like the pressure cook finish but it does take a little extra work.

I mostly use the wet method and it seems to get the best reviews to the folks I serve it to.

Do yourself a favor and give thirdeye's cook a try.

Here is the link http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/05/beef-pastrami.html

GG
  • Scott
    Scott Posts: 28
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder. I need to buy a brisket to corn and smoke.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    There is also a recipe on Alton Brown's "Good Eats" website. I have been going to do it for some time. Ordered some saltpetre, received it, and the bottle says technical use only. Paniced, ordered another bottle advertised as food grade, received it with a paper label taped to it. Makes me a little nervous.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    tri sodium phosphate is a cleaning agent and used to be the active ingredient in spic and span phospates have fallen out of favor for cleaning due to polllution issues but are very effective and can still be found in products designed to clean walls before painting it is NOT for ingestion
    i believe pink salt is sodium nitratre..
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    north of boston most meat shops dont use saltpeter for their corned beef, when later cooked it comes out brown, its whats known as a grey corned beef. heres an option if either you cant find the pink salt or saltpeter, or if you dont like eating it

http://www.zenreich.com/ZenWeb/cornedbeef.htm
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    have made pastrami out of store bought corned beef several times and have one in the fridge now, i follow thirdeye's method and have been more than pleased as have been the recipients of my efforts.
    penzey's sells corned beef spices
    bill
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    a good time to stock up on it is a couple weeks after st pats day when it all goes on sale. always have some to smoke later in the year
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hoss's BBQ
    Hoss's BBQ Posts: 435
    Options
    I do pastramis for the hotel I work for. I start with fresh corned beef brisket not the cooked ones. I soak in a very large 15 gallon tubs we have for at least 24 hours. My rub is 2 parts black pepper coarsly ground. 1 part coriander seeds coarsly gound ( start with whole spices for both of these and grind your own) 1part onion powder 1 part garlic powder. I smoke the pastramis in our southern pride at 210 for 15 and a half hours then I wrap in foil and hold till service or we cool them down and they are sliced cold on a silicer and heated up on a flat top to order. This has given me great results. I would definatly cook to 190 then wrap in foil and hold. I grew up in new york and love Katz's pastramis and they slice theirs a little thicker. for thier sandwhiches. Hope this helps ken
  • Hoss's BBQ
    Hoss's BBQ Posts: 435
    Options
    Also use TCM tinted cure mix(pink salt) if you are corning your own this is a sodium nitriate. Some sausage supply places carry this.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    My error...thanks for catching it bill! (shouldn't post so late!) :whistle: