Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Speaking of Pizza, here's another tip!!

Options
Char-Woody
Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A week ago, I made two pizza's, and almost botched the first one. It stuck to my peel. So I washed down the peel, and wiped it dry. Oiled it a bit with olive oil and made the second one. I was detracted for a bit taking the first one off the Egg, and when I tried to shake it for the release from the peel..it too was stuck.
The Solution was simple!
Sprinkle corn meal all around the perimeter of your dough and the peel. Take the longest thinnest knife from your drawer and draw the corn meal under the dough with a inward motion of the blade while drawing the blade sideways. Work you way all around the round fresh dough untill you can slip the blade all the way under the pizza, then shiver and shake to the stone..Works great.
Cheers..C~W
BTW..too thick a blade and you may tear the dough..and thats another problem. :-)

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]A great tip that has saved me a couple of times when I was paying less than the required attention to preparing the cook. Thanks again.[p]Here is another tip:[p]Don't use cornmeal on your pizza stone - it should be clean. The pizza will slide easily long before it is cooked to doneness and the cornmeal will only burn and/or add an unwanted gritiness to your pie. The pie will stick when first placed on the stone so careful placement is a must.[p]Spin
  • Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    Spin,
    Thanks for the hint! I found the corn meal would burn in the oven, when I was baking bread. Now I know how to prevent it![p]Thanks again! You are a wealth of information! Or experience![p]Dr. Chicken

• RLA
    RLA Posts: 89
    Options
    Spin, I agree about not putting corn meal on the stone, but the purpose of the corn meal is to allow the pie to "slide" onto the stone..from the PEEL. I would recommend its use solely on the Peel. (light dusting)
    Bob

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    RLA,[p]Very true. I build the pie on a lightly dusted peel (everthing is ready to construct the pie at that point). The pie is sauced and topped quickly and then inserted in the Egg. A quick shake during construction and just prior insertion is used to make sure that the pie will exit the peel properly. I wipe the stone clean as I remove the pie.[p]I have sanded wooden peels to baby smoothness in the attempt to create a slippery peel. No go. Wood and dough will stick.[p]I recommend against trying a metal peel. The dough seems to stick even more. When removing the pizza that metal then becomes really slippery! :).[p]Spin