Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Rhodes 22 ft sailboat

Options
Chef in the Making
Chef in the Making Posts: 902
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My son has been given an 85 "Rhodes 22" ft sailboat in need of repair. Neither he nor I know much about sailing never mind repairing a sailboat. So I was wondering if anyone out there could offer some advice.

Due to the age it is not finacially viable to have it done professionally ($5-10K). It has sat for two years on land. The hull appears in good shape however it did have a lot of rain water in it and the gel coat is dull. Other then that I don't know what nees to be done.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Chef in the Making,

Try a little rubbing compound on the hull. If it is not scatched or cracked the gelcoat should come up fine. Then wax it right after that. Make sure you use marine rubbing compound meant for gelcoat. Same with the wax

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Contact me via eMail. I can probably get you some help with this. However, to keep this on topic, he must paint it Green and call it "The EGG". :-)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i brought my lobster boat to a local car detailer, 225 dollars buffed and waxed. the finish looked gone when i first brought it in, i havent ever waxed it in the 18 years ive owned it. i also had the floors and stringers replaced, that went the 4k. whats wrong with it that it needs 5 to 10k
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    Hi Chef,

That's a great boat! I had a very similar boat but mine was 17'. Little Steven is right on. That is a good place to start. Ask around and find someone local that knows boats that can give you advice and might look her over for you. Find someone that is impartial and not in a position to take a lot of your cash. There are millions of sailors out there that can help. It is impossible to help very much with out the boat in front of us/me.

If it has a trailer, be sure to go over it with a fine toothed comb. Wheel bearings and other crucial parts age while just sitting.

I wish I was a lot closer, I would love to help.

Good luck and happy sailing,

Gator
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    My thanks to all for your replys. Now the work begins
  • R&R Futures Trader
    Options
    You don't indicate what all is wrong with the boat, but I assume the gel coat is ok and it just needs to tender loving care. As you know Rhodes is still producting boats down in NC. They would be a good place to start in your quest.

If you want to email about the conditon of the boat, I can help you out. I have owned several sail boats over the years and currently sail a 79 San Jaun.

ross
  • Egg And I
    Egg And I Posts: 110
    Options
    Owner's web site with link to a forum.
    Factory site.

See if you can locate an owner or owner's group nearby. They'd probably be glad to go over the boat with you and let you know what needs to be done.
  • Dr. Strangelove
    Options
    Years old, I know, but I've been in the same spot and it may help someone today.  Small boats like these are great to learn to sail on, but don't buy a distressed one thinking you can fix it up.  It's just not worth it.

If you get a sound hull and sails that you get get a few years out of, be happy, learn and move on to something else. 

I had a 22' MacGregor Venture that group of us spent a bunch of time and money on, only to find out that we couldn't sell it the cost of the parts we had in it, much less labor. 

I've had some awesome times on the smaller boats, but just be careful how much money you put into them.

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Buy a life vest for everyone on board, put the boat in the water, hoist the main sail and stay relatively close to shore.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser