Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Judgement Day Hath Cometh-need fast advice

Options
Mac  in NC
Mac in NC Posts: 287
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For months now, I have been taking samples of my grilling experiences to work. Last week, on a whim I told the guys at work that I was having a BBQ at my house...today...at 7:30 pm...forgeting that I had to complete a third ten hr. night shift Wed. evening...and I told them to bring their wives and a friend or two. So here I am, finishing up the organization aspect of the forty person festivity while operating on zero sleep. Oh well, there's plenty of time to sleep once I die, right?[p]Anyway, here is the dilemma that I must face. I have two 5.3 lb. boston butts sitting on the Egg. Put them on two hours ago with a steady temp. of 240 degrees. Now, two and a half hours later the butts are already showing temps of 130 degrees. [p]Now, the BBQ isn't until 7:30 pm so I was hoping someone could tell me if this temp. is normal after two hours? And...approx. what temp. should I raise (or lower) the dome temp. to in order to reach 190 internal somewhere in the 6:30-7:00 range. [p]I realize cooking this meat isn't an actual science but I'm hoping someone can provide me a little advice. This cookout is alot for me to bite off and chew so all the help I can get is greatly appreciated. [p]Oh yeah, almost forgot. The menu is as follows... Vegetable and fruit tray to start. Pulled pork, Seared flank steak, chicken breasts marinated in the o.j./dark rum mixture. Homemade baked beans, cole slaw, seasoned rice, corn on the cob, green beans seasoned with onions and ham. Pitchers of iced tea to wash it all down and fudge brownies for dessert.

Whew hoo, no sleep!!
Having a blast, wish you were beer... :o) Mac

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    I'd bump the temp up to 250°-275° if you are using an indirect setup. That's what I normally cook shoulders and butts at anyway. You should be in good shape on time, IMHO. If it's done a little early, wrap in foil and throw in a warm cooler or the oven. It will keep nicely. It sounds like a great party![p]Jim
  • Pug
    Pug Posts: 57
    Options
    Mac in NC,
    I would actually shoot for a closer to 200 degree temp on the butts to make them easier to pull. The 240 degree temp on the egg sounds good to me then again I am not expecting 40 people to my house tonight either. I would let them cook until 2 PM then check the temp. That would still give about 5 hours or so for it to cook if you need to raise the temp. on the egg. I hope everything goes well tonight.[p]Steve (also from NC)

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Mac in NC, 130n after two hours is fairly normal. The temp will rise rather quickly to the 160 range and will seem to sit there forever. Figure at 225-240 it will take about 2 hours per pound. AT 5.3 pounds each, you can expect it to take a good 10 hours. Again, if it finishes early, wrap in foil. You need to wrap it for about an hour before pulling anyway. I have left mine for two-three hours an dit is still hot when I pull it.

• Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys. Looks like the internal temp. has reached the 160 degree mark. Five hours into the cook so far. This the first time using an indirect setup with inverted platesetter and pizza stone atop. Used firebricks in the past with two for support of the upper grate and two for indirect cooking. [p]I'm noticing that I'm having a little difficulty maintaining temp. with this new setup. I'll just keep trying. [p]I've been able to catch a quick nap since my last post. But not enough. Eight hours to Judgement...