Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie from CA.

Boomer
Boomer Posts: 115
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello Im Boomer from So. Cal. and haveseen the BGE before and after watching some videos I think I'd like to Grill and Smoke with the BGE better than the traditional Santa Maria pit. :)

Im wondering if I could still burn the Red Oak from Santa Ynez, Santa Maria, Lompoc to still have that wood smell and flavor?

Please help out...

Boomer...

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Wood will not work very well in the BGE due to the amount of ash generated. For tri-tip I use lump charcoal with red oak chunks and get plenty of oak flavor.

Rich Miller
    Morro Bay, CA

PS Where in So Cal?
  • Boomer
    Rich, thanks for the quick reply, I live in Orange County, and love the santa maria style pit, BUT!!! I think the BGE will be a much better BBQ'ing/Smoking device, hands down...

Boomer...
  • Sure, if you cut it up into fist size chunks, and put it on top of your lump. That would work great. Using that wood alone would clog up the grate... That will smoke up nice.

If you want to use that wood alone, you would have to look into an offset, often called a stickburner.

Good luck on your search.
  • As others have mentioned, all you will need to do is add a few chunks of your wood, you will get plenty of smoke flavor.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Due to the small abount of air flow threw the Egg once it reaches normal cooking temps wood does not burn like in a more conventional grill. It will smoke like crazy but not burn with flame unlesss the top is poped or cooking at temps above say 375 to 400. I'm a smoke nut. My wood of choice is presimmon and a chicken egg size chunk every 30 min or sokeeps smoke rolling out the top on my Egg. I used to grill couple times a month tops. Now..well do a search for "some'en" in the serch function of the forum. Its just sick what the Egg has done to me! :laugh:
  • Boomer,

I'll be cooking with the Smoke Patrol May 9th Smitty cooks Competition BBQ with three lg Green Eggs, come out and see us

Ross

http://www.cbbqa.org/wiki/index.php?title=2009_Wishland_Quen_for_Kids
  • Cactus Doug
    Cactus Doug Posts: 341
    Welcome Boomer. I am in socal as well. Rich and Ross nailed it. I have used red oak chunks along with the normal lump, with very good results. Once the lump is started and you are at temp, lift out the grate and throw on some oak. You can adjust the quantity of oak chunks based on how smokey you like it. Good luck.
  • Boomer
    Ross in Ventura, Doug and all, I will attend the Costa Mesa event for sure, rain or shine. see you all there...

Boomer...