Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked cast iron grill grate

Options
pplkook
pplkook Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All

Well I picked up some of that ONO charcoal at the local BBQ Galore and decided to give it a whirl and T-Rex some rib steaks.

I am sure that the Whiz will shortly do a review (searched and didn't find any), but my impressions were that the pieces I got were quite large, no mill scrap, it got hot, not much of a strong odor, but it did seem to ash more than oak.

Anyway, I was in the middle of the sear phase and I hear this loud "POP" and the grate "jumped" a bit. Turns out I cracked the outer edge and one of the inner ribs of my cast iron grate!

Anyone else have this problem?

pplkook

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Yep. Pretty common.

Once it goes, it shouldn't break any more.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Mine cracked on the second week it still works fine.

Ross
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    pssst - don't tell anyone but the King is naked plus that cast iron grill has a design flaw. The metal in middle gets hot and expands, but the outer ring isn't as hot and the movement and stress will finally break the ring. Once broken though you'll be OK.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    mine cracked in a place that lets me add small wood chunks and isnt taking away from grill realestate. i believe most crack in a similar fashion where the ring meats the center bar.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mine's cracked as well.. no problem
  • pplkook
    Options
    RPR - that makes complete sense, especially since I put the grate on - AFTER - the fire was going pretty good. I have seen other cast iron grates on other bbqs - but they tend to be smaller sections which is probably how they get away from this problem.

Thanks...

p.s. Thanks for whoever posted the pics of Caldo Verde - Portuguese Kale soup. Made some (not on the egg, need a bigger cast iron pot) and it was awesome. Did some poking around for recipes and came up with many suggestions, but the best one of all was from Vinnie - local old Portuguese guy I know at the bar who told me how his mom made it in the old country...good stuff
  • luis70458
    luis70458 Posts: 48
    Options
    Whrer could I get a cast iron grate for a Large? It it better to cook on a cast iron grate vers the one that came w/ my Egg????
  • pplkook
    Options
    Your local egg dealer should have them. They are surprisingly expensive, though I don't remember the exact cost, just that I was surprised.

Better? Dunno, you get that nice thick grill/char line on a steak. I am on the fence if the cost/benefit was there. Personally I would save my cookies and get a BBQ Guru setup before that. And probably the adjustable rig before the Guru.

Good luck
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Well, I dropped mine off the deck from about 12 feet and it broke like this:

castiron.jpg

I could not have asked for a more perfect break.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    That's a fine picture to show folks where to cut their cast iron grate with a simple hack saw. Relieving that stress in the design will save them the "heartbreak" of a broken grate as well as make it easier to put in and remove or even just use one half as necessary. I'm just surprised they don't come that way!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    I've learned some shtuff on here, but you actually got me thinkin about cuttin my CI grate :ermm: