Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help quick! First pizza

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
not a serious investment...just a DiGiornos. I just finished my pizza peel (thanks TNW) and wanted to try it out. I've got the egg rising to 400, box says that temp for 24-26 mins. Will it really take that long? Stone is on platesetter now, both rising to temp along with the egg.

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    RG,
    While i have never done a DiGornio I would think that it would take as long as they say if you are cooking at the temps they suggest, the stone will just help insure you dont burn the crust....if the egg is not "stabilized" at your desired temp for about 15 minutes and the stone and setter have been in for the entire pre- heat, you may find that the stone is to hot as it has been exposed to all the direct heat while everything else warms up...stabilizing is critical in a good pizza...aside from all that if you keep ane eye on it no matter what the situation you should turn out a fine pie...again..my .02¢[p]Wess

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    RG,[p]I have never done one at 400° - I use 550-575° (slide daisy wide open) and mine take about 12-15 min on a 10 min preheated pizza stone which sits on a plate setter. I use a flashlight and peek in thru the chimney top to make sure nothing is burning and crack open the done and lift the crust a little to check the bottom on the crust looking for burning. If you use 400° dome it might take longer - I can't say for sure so just check it after 15-16 min.[p]Tim
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    RG,
    My suggestion when doing frozen pizza is to follow the instructions on the box. For the reason why, you can visit my page of pizza tips:[p]TNW

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's Pizza Page[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    RG,
    DiGiornos is my favorite pizza. It does so much better when cooked on the Egg that you will never want to do it in the regular oven again.[p]Tim's right, 550° is good, but be sure to let the Egg and plate setter and stone warm up. Otherwise you will have a mushy center in your crust.[p]The only thing I do differently is to open the Egg about half way through and rotate the pizza front to back to even the edge cooking. It also gives you the opportunity to take a good look at the cooking process. If it looks more done along the edge but not in the center you may want to close the top vent altogether so the heat will even out over the pizza instead of wrapping around the outside and out the top. I actually keep my top vent closed during this part of the cook.[p]PS No need to add smoking wood. The lump imparts a perfect flavor into the entire pizza. [p]Now I'm hungry for a pizza.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Unknown
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]makes sense to me.[p]Especially the sliding door part. :)[p]
    I knew from most posts about pizza that folks usually go around 7 minutes on a hotter stone, but of course dont start off frozen. Should have read more before I lit the egg...

• Unknown
    Options
    33772%3B2323232%7Ffp8%3Enu%3D3236%3E7%3B3%3E842%3Ewsnrcg%3D323248%3B%3B%3A73%3A4nu0mrj
    <p />Spring Chickien,
    This is what mine looks like when its time to rotate it. Plum beautiful, ain't it?[p]Spring Chicken

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    RG,
    Well, actually, the frozen bit is not what I was on about. I think that frozen pizza is made with flour that gives up its moisture in order to produce steam which assists in the rising process. Since you don't let the pizza warm up and get much action from yeast, the steam gives it some push. I base this theory on Alton Brown's chocolate chip cookie episode. Anyway, if the dough is giving up moisture to produce steam, I think the dough will burn sooner and at a lower temperature. So my advice is to follow the instructions on the box and not assume that it is like fresh pizza dough. I'll shut up now.....
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Spring Chickien,
    I think I must be a smoke slut. I smoke the living dickens out of pizza when I make it. Oh well...
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    It was edible, but not fantastic. I think I was too worried about getting the crust too well-done. I got it up to 400 and put the pizza on without letting it sit there for very long, worried about getting the stone too hot. It was a bit undercooked...very doughy (if thats a word). [p]No real complaints on the flavor...just the texture. Live and learn...[p]I am anxious to try it with raw dough, hotter temps, and shorter cook. [p]Thanks to all for the help.