Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Snooze You Lose!

Options
JSlot
JSlot Posts: 1,218
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, first of all, happy Memorial Day everyone! Last night around 11:00, I put on a 10 lb. brisket dusted with some of DP's Cow Lick rub. Egg temp was 271°.
<image src="http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaslotterback/brisketbefore.jpg"&gt;
[p]I went to bed and woke up at 6:25 this morning with my remote thermometer reading 272°. I got up and checked the internal temp of the point and the flat. The flat was all the way up to 214° internal and the point was 208°. Since my target is 195° and I slept right through it, I knew I was gonna have a very dry flat and a marginal point. I had figured 10-11 hours for the cook and I missed that by a mile.[p]<image src="http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaslotterback/brisketafter.jpg"&gt;
[p]Sure enough, they are overdone and on the dry side. However they are still pretty darn tasty. I must say though, the Cow Lick made the tastiest "burnt ends" that I've eaten to date. Thanks, Chris and Qfan! The main point of this post, as most veterans already know, is that the a 5-10° difference in internal temp makes a huge difference in the finished product. Also, this particular brisket cooked about 3-4 hours faster than any I've done previously.[p]Keep the smoke risin',
Jim[p]PS I'm not sure if I got the HTML right on the pics. If not, I'll link to 'em below. Have a great day!!!

Comments

• JSlot
    Options
    Ok, so I got the HTML right but the pics are posted in the wrong order. Gimme a break!! It's early. Have a good one, everybody! I'm off to Lowe's and Home Depot to get supplies for my new house!![p]Jim
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    JSlot,
    damn jim, looks pretty good anyway from where i sit. . .throw some sauce on it. . .slap it on some toast, hey, i'm there for lunch!!. ....probably still better than anything form your local q restaurant. . . .[p]btw, did some ribs yesterday. ..took two big racks, split them into four sections, tried different rubs on each. .. tried one kind of your style, i.e. smeared it good with mustard (actually used deli style vs. yellow), then ken stone's gilded splinters . . .they came out really good. . .it was actually my first egg attempt at ribs, and they were delicious. . .tried one rack smeared with apple sauce and DP raging river, had a very nice sweet taste. . and the other two simply dusted with dizzy dust and tsunami spin (my daughter's and wife's favorite). . .[p]good cookin. . ..tonight, its my chateaubriand in the flaming pan. . .gonna be good... [p]enjoy your day. .. .hope its not as wet there like it is here. .. [p]best[p]max[p]p.e. been enjoying my maple leaf lump... .one question though, is it my imagination or does it burn faster than bge lump??

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    JSlot, I did two Pork Butt's last night with DP Coarse Grind on them. Based on my nibble taster as I was pulling, these are going to be pretty good. Today I will try ribs following your revised instructions. I think I will use a different DP rub om these.

• JSlot
    Options
    Let me know how it goes, Bill. If your interested, I'll send you a sample of my rib rub. Just forward your snail mail address.[p]Jim
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Wise One,
    Was there a post from JSlot on a revised rib method?[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • JSlot
    Options
    I'm not sure about the burn rate, Max. It's been about 4 years since I've used any BGE lump. The Maple Leaf definitely lights quicker than the Real Flavor I've been using, so I'm guessing that it burns faster, too. This particular cook only used half the lump I put in (8 hours or so, top of fire box level) and that is much better than the real flavor as I recall my last cook.[p]Happy M Day to you and yours![p]Jim
  • JSlot
    Options
    I posted it quite awhile back. It is on my computer at work, so I will try and repost tomorrow. I sent the revised version directly to Wise One and a few other folks that requested it via e-mail. If you'd like it e-mailed, just drop me a line![p]Jim
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy Jim!
    I finally got to try some of your special rub concoction yesterday, and it was enjoyed! I have been nibbling on it at my desk for weeks, so it was nice to actually try it on some meat![p]Thanks for giving me some at the Eggfest!
    Hop pops to you.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • JSlot
    Options
    You are most welcome, Chris. And I devoured some burgers dusted with Cow Lick tonight for dinner. That is some goooooooooood stuff!!!![p]Jim