Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Scallops

Buster Dog BBQ
Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Some scallops on a cast iron griddle cooked on the XL.

scallops1-38093.jpg

scallops2-38093.jpg

I left them on maybe about two min too long.

scallops4-38093.jpg

Comments

• I've never had scallops from the BGE but those look like they would be just fine like they are.Nice pictures.
    Frank from Indiana
  • Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Might not be good enough for Gordon Ramsey, but I'd eat them!

slick
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Look good to me. All this seafood tonight is driving me crazy
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    They look great. I did some smaller dry scallops Friday and couldn't get a sear like that. I considered using a griddle but went on a screen direct above the coals.

I wish mine turned out like those.
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Shook them in s bag of flour then on a hot cast iron with butter.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Fidel - Want a trade secret for perfectly seared scallops every time? You're such an excellent cook this technique is one you should have in your skills bank. ;) Non stick or well seasoned CI skillet...barely enough oil to just coat the cooking surface (no puddles! Just a coating!) Get the skillet smoking hot, Then, shhh, season up some flour, then lightly place each end (only the end!) of the scallop into the flour, then knock off every last bit of loose flour, then sear. The flour helps it brown much faster, and allows you to flip sooner, thus avoiding overcooking. ;) (works great when you want color on a seared fish filet, too) Hope this is helpful!
    Michelle
    Hollywood, FL
  • Fidel
    Thanks for the tip. I never thought to put flour on a scallop.

I don't get to do them often because my wife is allergic so I only cook them when she's not home. Kind of a treat for me because I love 'em. I know well enough to use wild caught and dry. Learned the hard way to avoid the STP stuff. They look better in the package but sure don't cook up as nicely.

Next time I'll try this trick. I really appreciate it.
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    What do you know, I stumbled on the right path for once. :woohoo:
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Simply outstanding! Loved the color of the sear!
  • UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    Buster, I see a lot of steam, and it looks like some liquid pooling up around the scallops. That would seem to indicate that you got regular scallops and not "DRY" scallops. The difference is that "normal" scallops are soaked in a liquid to make them all look uniform, and to pump up their weight. I think they can be as much as 25% liquid. When you cook them, the liquid extrudes out and tends to steam the scallop instead of sauteing them. That makes it real hard to get that nice color.

Dry scallops are a little more expensive, and tend to have multiple colors. When you saute them, virtually no liquid extrudes out, and they are pure heaven. Ask your fishmonger for the "DRY" ones, or find someone who handles them. Well worth the effort.
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    That was actually smoke. I wanted to make sure I got a good sear so right when I flipped them I put some squeeze butter on the griddle, causing the smoke. I got these from Costco. I am not sure if they were dry, but I know of a fish market here in town and now that I know how to get the sear I will go to the fish market and ask for the dry. Thanks for the tip.
  • Fidel
    The ones I get at Costco are always full of STP. You can tell by the milky white appearance of the scallops and the liquid in the styrofoam tray.

Dry scallops are just that - dry. They are almost sticky to the touch and won't weep any at all when you cook them. They are more of a yellowish color. The flavor and texture are not comparable.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    looks like you are getting the hang of the reducing ring. I am still learing to use less lump.....dang stuff is effecient on generating heat.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    That's probably what these were. They come off an ice bed in a little kiosk on the weekends.
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Yeah, I am really digging it Tom. I will shoot you a picture here in a few of my cook with it. I did a low and slow last week and had to do another cook to weed out some lump.

I really like it with the flip ring setup.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    They look great! You said they were on a little long. How long should they be on. I'll be doing some soon!
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    I think somewhere in the 8 min range. I think 2 to 2 1/2 per side would have been good and will be what I do next time.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Thanks! Do you ever compete in the southern states like Ga.?
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Hey Buster Dog! You got a restaurant depot in your neighborhood that you can get into? They have, without a doubt, the best 'dry' scallops I've been able to find without using specialty vendors like we use at work. Their scallops are excellent, and huge...usually about 8 to a pound. If you have a R.D. nearby...take a peek!
    Happy cookin! Nice job on the scallops.... ;)
    Michelle
    Hollywood, FL
  • Hey...They do look good!
    I may have to give that try, on HIGH heat in CI!
    I have only done the jumbo direct; on a skewer…They were great.
    So many things to try…So little time!
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    No. I stay to Iowa, Missouri and Nebraska. This year we are going to South Dakota as well I think.