Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

26 hours 8 minutes later....

Options
Cornbread Willy
Cornbread Willy Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to all of you who responded to my questions yesterday regarding my slow butt. This was not my first one, and I honestly can't tell you why it took so long this time. Internal temp dropped 20 degrees when the fire went out in the early morning hours, and it took me almost 5 hours to make up that temperature. Weird - all my thermometers check out perfect in the boiling water test. At one point yesterday, the internal was stuck at 176 for about an hour and a half. I moved the polder probe and hit 192 immediately. Not sure what that was all about. Anyway, buzzer went off shortly after 5 - I took him off, wrapped in foil and towels, put in cooler etc and we were eating at 6:30. Delicious, not the least bit dry (I should mention that at hour 21 I tented the butt with foil) - company came over and raved and raved about how good it was. I guess the lesson here is to just be flexible about when you eat.[p]Pulled pork enchiladas tonight. Yum.

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Cornbread Willy,
    "I guess the lesson here is to just be flexible about when you eat."[p]
    Yes sir, that is something you need to learn to do with meals that take more than an hour or so since things vary a lot. It is hard sometimes when guests come or you have a time-line you are working with.[p]Tim

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Cornbread Willy,[p]I too would like to add my congratulations on putting that "Butt" in the "win colum"!!
    I was right there with you vicariously....and periodiclly checked on you throught the day....
    I must admit...any lionger and I was afraid we'd have to bring in a "Closer" from the Bullpen to get you through the final inning!! (large smile thinge)[p]Have a great day...[p]Chubby

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    Cornbread Willy,
    Glad to hear it all worked out.[p]Next time with a group, there is that option to cook PP the day before...You KNOW it's still good on day 2-??[p]Mike in MN